The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Impressive bloodlines (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/impressive-bloodlines-38805/)

PechosGoldenChance 10-23-2009 01:14 PM

Impressive bloodlines

Does anyone know what the Impressive bloodlines where bred for? My horse has Impressive bloodline in her and i remember her previous owner tellling me what they were bred for but i forget haha. I'm just trying to refresh my memory a little bit.

hiwaythreetwenty 10-23-2009 01:19 PM

From my understanding Impressive line was really big in the halter classes. I do believe that others had also done some western pleasure. But that is about all I know other then the Impressive line has been inbred so much that you have to watch for HYPP and that is a huge debatable issue that we probably don't want to get into.

sillybunny11486 10-23-2009 01:21 PM

impressive, was just that a very impressive chestnut qh. lol. google him

QHChik 10-23-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwaythreetwenty (Post 437189)
But that is about all I know other then the Impressive line has been inbred so much that you have to watch for HYPP and that is a huge debatable issue that we probably don't want to get into.

Inbreeding is not what caused HYPP. A genetic mutation is what caused HYPP. This is why we don't want to get into it, because people don't always know what they are talking about.

Not to sound nasty, of course, just a soap box.

FoxTrottrGrl 10-23-2009 01:39 PM

Impressive was a major halter sire. Nobody knew he had the genetic mutation causing HYPP, so he had a lot of mares bred to him - he's probably one of, if not the, top halter stallions of all time, and up with the top stallions of all time. Of course, it wasn't until much later that they realized his descendents had inherited the genetic mutation. There was no more inbreeding to Impressive than there was to Doc Bar, King, Wimpy, or any other major Quarter Horse sire.

hiwaythreetwenty 10-23-2009 01:41 PM

That is why I said from what I understand. I don't follow quarter horses that closely so I stated what I have been told. From what the people in my area explain is that Impressive was linebreed so much (breeding daughters to uncles or sons to aunts) that the mutation was caused. But again I said it has always been a debatable issue and I don't know all the facts and I wasn't try to say I do. That was what I heard and from my understanding was Impressive was a huge halter horse which was what the question was.

QHChik 10-23-2009 01:50 PM

I do follow quarter horses and have had halter horses (all Impressive decedents). I completely agree that there has been inbreeding but also agree with the previous poster who stated that it wasn't more prevalent there than in any other discipline. Linebreeding, or extreme inbreeding, did not cause HYPP. It was a genetic mutation.

FoxTrottrGrl 10-23-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwaythreetwenty (Post 437214)
From what the people in my area explain is that Impressive was linebreed so much (breeding daughters to uncles or sons to aunts) that the mutation was caused.

Well, not so much caused as intensified. But yeah, same thing happens in other breeds - a lot of Missouri Fox Trotters are ridiculously inbred to Missouri Traveler E., who was himself inbred (his sire was bred to his own dam).

hiwaythreetwenty 10-23-2009 01:55 PM

Again I didn't mean for this to become the topic, PecosGoldenChance wanted to know what Impressive was bred for so I apologize for even bringing it up, it is a very debatable issue and I have no doubt that you know more on it then I do. So Back to topic what was the Impressive line bred for - halter, westen etc.

FoxTrottrGrl 10-23-2009 02:33 PM

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn it into a debate - just trying to shed some clarification. And I know I'm really new here, but I fail to see how it could become a debate...? We know HYPP exists. We know it links back to Impressive. We know that inbreeding occurred (as it does in every breed - see previously mentioned Missouri Fox Trotters, or look at the popular sires for any breed out there). Yes, people have their own views over how good or bad inbreeding is, but that's not even part of the discussion here - it's simply a statement that inbreeding occurred.
Besides, it was already mentioned that Impressive was a halter sire.