The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rain Rot? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rain-rot-38827/)

toadflax 10-23-2009 04:57 PM

Rain Rot?

My 28yo gelding has about 5 crusty scabs on his chest, they look like rain rot but on his chest?? He's got a heavy coat already and doesn't use his shed that much in the rain, but he's never had rain rot before. There's no hair loss either so I don't think it's ringworm. Has anyone had a horse get rain rot on their chest?

Countrygal892000 10-24-2009 01:15 AM

It could be a fungus... try scrubbing it with betadine and then putting some anticeptic on it and see how it does.. it doesn't sound like it could be rain rot... Horses usually don't get rain rot on their chest.. but if its not ringworm then this would be my best guess with no pictures to see what it looks like

Walkamile 10-24-2009 09:23 AM

Good advice Countrygal. T also has developed what sounds like toadflax's horse has only although it started on the chest it is now randomly all over her body, including a spot on her jowls.

I did what countrygal has suggested and those spots treated with betadine are looking better. I've called my vet and he will be out Monday to take a scraping and possibly a biopsy (not the ones already treated, has to be untreated ones and she is still developing some). While spit-balling with the vet, he feels it is either fungal or autoimmune.

Interesting that both of these horses (toadflax and mine) are seniors and we are both in the eastern part of the states. Makes you kinda wonder.

Oh yeah, found a tick on T's chest when this all started , and I'm kinda wondering if possibly it could be an allergic reaction. That's one of the purposes for the scarping and biopsy.

Toadflax, I can let you know the outcome of T's situation if you'd like. Not saying they're the same, but they sound very similar don't they?

Good luck.

toadflax 10-24-2009 11:07 AM

Hi. Walkamile, they do sound familiar. I wasn't necessarily convinced it was rain rot but my boarder who has much more experience with horse health issues than I do, decided that's what it probably was. I'll try to get a picture when it stops raining, Countrygal--:-).
He has had the occasional mystery crud now and then over the years, ringworm once a long time ago. I pulled out the Betadine last night. He's mostly old-style Morgan and grows a coat like a buffalo.Walkamile, I'd love to hear what your vet says, and it is an interesting similarity, I'm in Vermont. The ticks have been really active lately but I'm not sure that's what this is, dunno. Betadine to the rescue!
Thanks.

Countrygal892000 10-25-2009 05:11 PM

I hope that both of your horses get better and that it isn't something serious :-)

toadflax 10-25-2009 05:46 PM

Well, in my case we've decided it could very well be a reaction to tick bites, as we've been finding ticks on all the horses and dogs lately. Not a great thing either because we live in a Lyme disease hotspot, but at least not rain rot...

Appyt 10-25-2009 08:36 PM

Ah yes, the cruddies from tick bites. How could I forget that. We have tons of those here.