The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Gross/Awkward Moments (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/gross-awkward-moments-388482/)

Saddlebred11 03-29-2014 07:37 PM

Gross/Awkward Moments

When talking to a friend of mine that lives on a breeding farm we were discussing disgusting moments and I kid you not he(Yes HE) said "I once found a 2 month old placenta when mucking out a stall" Plus share more disgusting/odd moments pertaining to horse breeding!

Thoroughbredlover33 03-30-2014 09:47 PM

That is disgusting! Lol. But, there is a little breeding pit at my stables (for ponies or horses covering considerably larger mares) and the concrete floor was getting a bit icky, so my trainer offered two of my friends and I $50 each to take a hose down there and clean it down really well. We found a small lump of manure that we had accidentally sprayed with the hose, and when we went to pick it up with a manure fork, semen leaked out of the manure. It was not worth the $50 to have to see that,

Brighteyes 03-30-2014 10:01 PM

My mare was accidentally bred, and I decided to abort the foal instead of keeping it. I have the mare an injection of lutalyse. She wasn't very far along, and I didn't think anything of what would happen to the fetus. Well, a few days later, I walk into her paddock and find this disgusting, fly covered mass of bloody tissue. :oops:

tinyliny 03-30-2014 10:03 PM

This thread sounds like a gem!

Glynnis 03-30-2014 10:22 PM

Not a gross story, but it was certainly awkward for me at the time. When I was 13, my dad and I took my mare to the breeder's. When we got there, she all of a sudden started showing signs of raging heat, so we decided to cover her right then and there. If this was now, I wouldn't care, but I ended up having to hold my mare while the stallion bred her. I was a super self-conscious 13 yr old and I couldn't look at or talk to my dad the entire drive home, I was so mortified.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-30-2014 10:52 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glynnis (Post 5084346)
Not a gross story, but it was certainly awkward for me at the time. When I was 13, my dad and I took my mare to the breeder's. When we got there, she all of a sudden started showing signs of raging heat, so we decided to cover her right then and there. If this was now, I wouldn't care, but I ended up having to hold my mare while the stallion bred her. I was a super self-conscious 13 yr old and I couldn't look at or talk to my dad the entire drive home, I was so mortified.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoL. :lol: OMG, Embarassing!

1111aqua 03-30-2014 10:55 PM

I'm not sure if this counts but when I told a couple people that I had my horse bred they asked if I paid the stallion owner or if they paid me... like my horse was a prostitute. :lol: I immediately burst out laughing then decided to protect my horse's reputation and explain the situation.

SunnyDraco 03-30-2014 11:07 PM

My gross moment was a few years back, handling the stallion while hand breeding. The mare had already been covered twice (once a day) and had been an immoveable statue during the breedings but now she was beginning to show signs of coming out of heat. She stood for the stallion but as soon as he finished, she decided to buck him off... Semen flew out her rear all over. Needless to say, I felt very grossed out and wanted a shower after getting sprayed with nasty fluids O_O

JetdecksComet 03-31-2014 12:11 AM

I'm still scratching my head as to how a placenta manages to stay in a stall for two months... and nobody notices. Ew.

As for the rest of this thread. More Ew. And I'm seriously considering not coming back in here. Ew.

1111aqua 03-31-2014 01:03 AM

JetdecksComet: I read it as the mare was two months along when she aborted the foal, not that it had been there for two months.