The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Education after HS (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/education-after-hs-38859/)

~Freedom Rider~ 10-24-2009 01:23 AM

Education after HS

Not sure where to put this.

Well, heres the deal I will be graduating from HS in the Spring of 2010 and I am debating on what I want to do after HS. I am very intrested in being a vet but I absolutly hate the thought of oweing people money. Plus I am not a very good student in HS and don't get the best grades, unless it is a class that intrest me. If I went that route I would major in Equine and Dairy Cattle.

The other option is going to Farrier School then to Equine Massage therapy where they don't check grades for GPAs or any of that. The farrier school cost $5500 and I could apply for a scholaship and ranges from $500 - $5000.

So do I go to vet school or Farrier then Equine Massage therapy? Such a hard decison!!!

M2twisted 10-24-2009 01:42 AM

i'm not sure how to vote on this so...
personally i would go to college, not a trade school type thing for equine massage or farrier training. mostly because i think you will benefit more from it. if you get into farrier stuff, and no longer want to do it, or have back problems or something, you would have nothing to fall back on, however if you go to college and get even an equine science degree, you still went to a "regular" college, would take business courses, and science stuff. and if you needed to find another kind of job, it would benefit you greatly.
my husband went to a trade school and is curently looking for a job and it has been a struggle, because he is quite limited in options because of it, it seems.

if your grades aren't the best you could do what i did. my first 2 years of college, i went to a smaller junior college that was not as difficult to get into, i did well there (the classes were much smaller, etc), and then after two years went on to a university to finish my bachelors degree. and if you go to a junior college, you can get an associates (most likely science it sounds like) degree, on top of a bachelors degree.

as for not wanting to owe on school...i dunno what to tell you other than aplly for grants to help. most people owe for college, just kinda the way it goes. personally i think it's worth in the long run.

and Vet school... I think you really need to want it. it's a lot of hard work for a long time. you'll learn some really cool stuff, and i know it can be really rewarding, but it's a hard road to get there and it's very competitive. i had a few friends who had to apply for vet school several times before getting accepted.

just some things to think about. hope it helps!

tealamutt 10-24-2009 03:45 AM

well, you have a very long road before you can decide on vet school. You'll need to get the first 4 years taken care of before you can apply and by that point, if you've done well no one is going to give a rip about your HS grades. Trust me, mine weren't stellar but my first four years of college got much better since I was more interested in the classes. I got in to vet school on my first try but many of my friends who are much smarter and more motivated than me had to apply 3 or 4 times to get in.

It is a very long road, you have lots of time. The best advice I can give is for you to get some experience first. Take time off to work for a vet, or at least try and shadow one on the weekends to see if it is even something you want to do. Just because you love animals doesn't mean you want to be a vet- you spend most of your time with people anyway and the animals are sick and you're doing things they don't like... But like I said try it out, you might find it fits you like a glove and then the vet you get to know can be a reference for you and can advise you further. Best of luck!!

Becca93 10-24-2009 03:47 AM

While I'm not looking at becoming a vet etc, I'm in the same position of you. I graduate from HS in Nov/Dec 2010.

Don't discredit yourself before you have even started. I'm not the US but atleast here in Australia there are multiple ways you can get into university and or college. We haven't finished school yet so there is always time with to pick up your grades. It sounds like you have the ability to do well but like most of students lack the motivation. I find that its alot easier to work hard in class if you have an end goal whether it be a career choice or to beat someone else in the yearly exam.

I agree with ^ somewhat. I think that you need to decide on a goal whether it be a farrier or a vet. If you really want to be a vet there is absolutely nothing stopping you from becoming one, you just need to be prepared to put in the hard work and long hours.

In regards to the cost, most careers... well actually they are alot like horses. You have the initially cost of buying a horse or getting a degree but there are many other costs associated with the career or horse. Membership with the associatiion, equipment, keeping up with the latest information etc. Basically what I'm saying is that as much as you don't like owing people money (and trust me I don't either. I owe my mum a bucket load atm), unfortuantely unless your a millionare, at one point or another you are going to owe someone money for something.

Goodluck and I hope you work everything out.

tealamutt 10-24-2009 04:25 AM

to comment on the owing money part, in undergrad i worked full time and paid for it by myself with the help of grants. It is difficult but not impossible. I am accumulating a huge amount of debt in vet school (though not nearly as much as some!) but at the end I will have a career. Even in this tough economy vets are still finding plenty of jobs. So yes, you will have some debt but you will also always have a way to pay it off! Which cannot be said for a lot of other choices you could make.

Crimsonhorse01 10-24-2009 11:53 AM

I wanted to be a vet so during high school I took Vet tech 1 and 2. I interned with 4 different vets. I had allot of time to talk about things they would have done differently. Thee were male. Money wise all but one was still paying off their student loans and they were at least 40s. Dr Martin I know for sure even came from money. The female vet told me she wouldn't do it again. The reason being she couldn't have a family. She never had time for her daughter. Those things for me put me off. Being a vet is a great thing you get to help animals and all that. But if you don't want to be in debt and have family than it might not be for you.
I have to give it to vets they are very hard workers and aren't as respected. They go to school longer than a Doctor have to learn more but get less respect. :/

tealamutt 10-24-2009 12:18 PM

This post is not directed at the OP so much as general information.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01 (Post 437991)
They go to school longer than a Doctor have to learn more but get less respect. :/

We don't go to school any longer than doctors. In fact doctors have to do internships and residencies after undergrad and med school (8 years) are done. Veterinarians only do these if they want to become board certified in some kind of specialty (less than 20% do this). If you own a house, you're going to be in debt for the rest of your life (I don't know many people with many tens of thousands lying around to pay off a mortgage). If you ever own a credit card, you're going to be in debt for the rest of your life. Student loans have a low interest rate and for the couple hundred dollars a month you will be paying for most of your life, you earn a career that allows you to make money, live where you want, spend each and every day doing what you want, etc.

Please do NOT let debt be a factor. Also there are so many vets out there who have families. It is not impossible or really that hard anymore. The profession is changing rapidly and is now becoming more female dominated which means it is much easier now to have a family and still practice medicine. I'm sure these are all legitimate concerns for a lot of vets, especially ones that went to school even just ten years ago. But please don't let them stop you from following a dream that is rewarding and totally worth it.

Crimsonhorse01 10-24-2009 01:25 PM

Sorry I didn't post this first, i don't see an edit now :/
I would go ahead and knock out all the generals first. It will buy you more time to figure out what you want to do. And if you change your mind you didn't take any classes you don't need.
If its your dream by all means I think you should pursue it no matter what obstacles there may be.

nrhareiner 10-24-2009 02:13 PM

Ok I am only going to tell you my history on this type of thing. First Any education is good. Coming from a person who set a goal of retiring by the age of 40 some type of higher education is very important. I have 5 different degrees. Some I have never used others have come in handy. Being self employed most of my life what you think you will never use in the first thing you do. The more education you have the better off you will be. Also if you start out with a general education type degree it will transfer over to many other fields. The reason I was able to get several degrees over the years is b/c I started out in a good collage and was able to transfer a lot of those credits over to other degrees. It is never a waist. If you get a degree even in a general area you can use that to go onto anything you want. Even to being a farrier or Equine Massage Therapist.

kitten_Val 10-24-2009 07:02 PM

I can't vote really on that one. I think (personally) vet would be a great way to go. Because you'll get lots of education you can always go number of different roads: for example, I know a vet who became FDA employee (she was hired because she had a degree). Also helping out creature in need is just very rewarding IMO.

The downsides are 1) it's very expensive (meaning you'll owe lots of money) and 2) whether you'll be able to study. Please don't get me wrong on 2nd one, not-so-good grades in HS doesn't mean much. Vet school is lots LOTS of work and study in different fields (including bio, chemistry, and such) and you have to judge yourself whether you can really spend so many years studying hard (and very likely will have to combine study and work to make at least some money to live).

Being the farrier is certainly very profitable in my area. :-) The downside of that is 1) you need to find new clients and start trimming for cheaper, 2) even with the school you better partner with the experienced person for while trying to learn as much as possible from him/her, 3) dealing with the hoofs (especially the back ones) is very dangerous. Not every horse is nice and sweet, and most of the time you can't pick the customers (or you'll be out of them too soon). Also 4) farrier work is really tough on your own back as well as you need to be strong enough to deal with the weight.

As for massage therapy, well it doesn't sound like big thing around here (I'm not sure about where you live). And personally I think chiro/therapist MUST have vet education (at least the basic one) and I wouldn't invite one without to my own horses.