The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Double bridle. Why? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/double-bridle-why-38862/)

ThatNinjaHorse 10-24-2009 07:07 AM

Double bridle. Why?

Why are double bridles compulsory in upper level dressage? I can understand why they may be needed, but why is there a rule that it is a must? Ive seen these movements performed in snaffles (and bridleless etc) so why must they be compulsory? Not having this rule certainly wouldnt give competitors any advantage!

Spyder 10-24-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatNinjaHorse (Post 437883)
Why are double bridles compulsory in upper level dressage? I can understand why they may be needed, but why is there a rule that it is a must? Ive seen these movements performed in snaffles (and bridleless etc) so why must they be compulsory? Not having this rule certainly wouldnt give competitors any advantage!

Maybe for the same reason the Tour De France doesn't use a regular bike like all the rest of us.

ridergirl23 10-24-2009 05:12 PM

i dont understand why it is mandatory either, probably for the same weird reason we arent aloud to puts spakles on our horses butts at shows.
haha maybe riders like anky just dont want to be shown up by a horse and rider without a bridle :P

SavvyHearts 10-24-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 438239)
haha maybe riders like anky just dont want to be shown up by a horse and rider without a bridle :P

http://msnsmileys.net/r/smileys/ROFL/Rofl_Misc_1.gif
Too funny! :)

I also don't see why it would be required. Maybe they think it gives the finishing touches or makes it look "better". To me the moves look just the same if not better when using a simple snaffle

JustDressageIt 10-24-2009 08:29 PM

I haven't a clue why it's a rule. I mean, if one could possibly do the Tour de France on an everyday bike, why not?

MIEventer 10-24-2009 09:23 PM

Because it is tradition you guys. Same reason why you cannot wear a norma jacket in upper level dressage or wear a helmet.

Rules are rules you guys.

You follow your strict rules in your competative equestrian sport, so why would it be any different in upper level dressage?

Lucara 10-24-2009 09:27 PM

I suppose its just the fact that they are competing at a professional level and expect the horses and riders to look the level their competing at.

I can go to a local show in half chaps and schooling breeches without any issues but I would assume that someone who is competing in the upper levels would be expected to dress according to the level their in.

Kinda like a a lawyer in a well known law firm is expected to dress the according to their career level, not like a Walmart employee.

I don't think it has anything to do with what skills they have, I think its just a dresscode like anything else.

ridergirl23 10-24-2009 09:38 PM

ugh the only thing i dont like about dressage is how traditional itis, haha but i also do like that part :P haha i STILL think its cuz the upper level riders dont want to be shown up bye some person without a bridle on their horse :P

MIEventer 10-24-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

STILL think its cuz the upper level riders dont want to be shown up bye some person without a bridle on their horse :P
Are you serious?

ridergirl23 10-24-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 438433)
Are you serious?

haha no, that was a joke :D lol