The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Riding Critique From The Show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/riding-critique-show-38866/)

anrz 10-24-2009 09:04 AM

Riding Critique From The Show

I was hoping to get a critique on my riding from the show last Sunday. I rode Thumper in Intro dressage A and B, and it turned out better than last time. I remember getting plenty of critiques on the line from your elbow to the bit, and I had been working on that, but somehow once I got in the arena everything that I had been working on about my position went down the drain :(. I just want to make sure that you guys know that I'm not completely disregarding everything you say!

Here's the link to Thumper's photos...
PhotoReflect - Kristine Fisher Photography - Hoofer Schooling Show Oct 09
I'm probably going to buy lots of them- he looked so handsome :). Unfortunately I couldn't finish his braids, which is why I was thankful that it was just a schooling show, LOL. He still looked handsome <3.
Aaand then I rode Bailey, my instructor's 26-year-old gelding, in Training Level 4, 2-foot jumpers, and 2'6" jumpers. Jumper's are definitely not my thing, lol. Sadly there were no hunters or equitation courses in this show :'(. I'm not really drawn to the speed classes, more the 'perfect course'.
Anyway here's the link to Bailey's pictures. My friend's mom, who part-leases Bailey, was kind enough to lend me her dressage saddle! It was SUCH a nice saddle, and I was glad to be riding in a dressage saddle, and not my instructor's jump saddle :).
Anyway, here's the link to the pictures:
PhotoReflect - Kristine Fisher Photography - Hoofer Schooling Show Oct 09
And the little pink think sticking out of his mouth is in fact his tongue :-). He's not trying to avoid the bit, it's just how he rolls :). A couple things that I noticed were that I need to release WAY more- in a couple pictures I didn't release at all- and I need to work on jumping ahead- I was doing that in a majority of the photos. Thanks in advance!

charliBum 10-24-2009 10:03 AM

Hands up
toes in
wrap your legs round him better
try not to lean to one side
dont force your heels down to badly its causing a chair seat
y0u need to be putting your heels down evenly, your left goes down further/sharper
Straight line from elbow to bit!
what happened to his ear =]?

charliBum 10-24-2009 10:05 AM

im much to tired to commrnt on the jumping ones, maybe later, his tongue in adorable
esp in pic 9

charliBum 10-24-2009 10:07 AM

basicly you need to jump like you are in pic 17-18 except looking forward with a release

is that braid a release point?

and for the flat work, remember long arms short reins

anrz 10-24-2009 05:29 PM

Okay, thanks for the critique! I'll definitely work on not forcing my heels down and getting them even :). Yeah it is- my instructor did that right before I rode lol.
When Thumper was younger, another horse bit the tip of his ear off, and that's why it's like that.