The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   ~ Hotbloods, Coldbloods or Warmbloods? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/%7E-hotbloods-coldbloods-warmbloods-38932/)

flamingauburnmustang 10-25-2009 01:13 PM

~ Hotbloods, Coldbloods or Warmbloods?
 
I am interested in hearing your opinion on which type of horse you think is best out of these categories:

- The hotbloods, like Thoroughbreds and Arabians?

- The coldbloods, like Shires and Haflingers?

- The warmbloods, like Hanoverians and Trakehners?

And then choose any breed within those that you prefer or like.

It will be nice to see all of your opinions. Thanks. :-)

Aoi Miku 10-25-2009 01:39 PM

Coldbloods.
- Schwarzwälder Kaltblut
- Comtois

Schwarzwälder Kaltblut are my number one favourite.
Comtois are my second favouties to Kaltblut's.

My favourite mix is Volcan's breed, 50% Gypsy Vanner, 25% Thoroughbred and 25% New Forest. He's counted as a Warmblood since Vanners are Coldbloods and TB's are Hotlboods.

BigGreyHorse 10-25-2009 01:46 PM

I think everyone has a breed that has eye appeal for them. However, I think the biggest factor in breed choice is what you want to do with the horse. Then you look at breeds that are best suited to those activities. Earlier in my life when riding for hours and cantering miles on end were the "it" for me, my TWH/QH mare filled the bill. In my life right now I want a brief W/T now and then but also want some help moving limbs and firewood. While I do enjoy looking at the Arabians, Andalusians and such, I want a slow and steady worker and that's my Percheron/Belgian gelding.

flamingauburnmustang 10-25-2009 02:03 PM

Mine is the warmbloods.

My personal favorite breed is the Holsteiner, because my interest is in show jumping, and they can be some of the best show jumpers.

Spyder 10-25-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aoi Miku (Post 438909)
Coldbloods.
- Schwarzwälder Kaltblut
- Comtois

Schwarzwälder Kaltblut are my number one favourite.
Comtois are my second favouties to Kaltblut's.

My favourite mix is Volcan's breed, 50% Gypsy Vanner, 25% Thoroughbred and 25% New Forest. He's counted as a Warmblood since Vanners are Coldbloods and TB's are Hotlboods.

He could never be a warmblood because you do not describe warmbloods based of mixing a hotblood with a coldblood. Your horse is a draft cross nothing more, nothing less. If he is not registered then he is a grade horse.

flamingauburnmustang 10-25-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 438940)
He could never be a warmblood because you do not describe warmbloods based of mixing a hotblood with a coldblood. Your horse is a draft cross nothing more, nothing less. If he is not registered then he is a grade horse.

That is true. A warmblood isn't a direct mix between hotbloods and coldbloods. It comes over bloodlines, and you have special warmblood breeds.

savvylover112 10-25-2009 03:41 PM

I don't know because my horse is an Irish Sport Horse which is really 3/4 TB and 1/4 Draft so like I don't really know lol

xLaurenOscarx 10-25-2009 03:47 PM

Hotblood:)
C'mon The THoroughbreds:D
I'm A Bit Biased Lol!

savvylover112 10-25-2009 03:50 PM

But yes like Lauren I do love hotbloods like thoroughbreds cos I grew up with them my whole life

xLaurenOscarx 10-25-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvylover112 (Post 439009)
I don't know because my horse is an Irish Sport Horse which is really 3/4 TB and 1/4 Draft so like I don't really know lol

shauna id call them hot blood as they're mostly thoroughbred!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0