The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Feeding help! (I know.. again) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-help-i-know-again-38934/)

AussieDaisyGirl 10-25-2009 02:25 PM

Feeding help! (I know.. again)

Ok, I'm transitioning CoCo from Omolene 100 to Nutrena Safe Choice (mixing them together gradually). I couldn't find the rice bran flakes I wanted to get, and since I bought stable mats today (phoof talk about sticker shock!!!) I didn't get the liquid rice bran oil. It'll have to wait til Friday (yay payday lol).

She's on good quality grass hay, 3 flakes morning, 4 flakes at night. She's getting about 4 1/2lbs grain twice a day. Though she's on turnout, there's very little pasture. About to get a round bale for the pasture. And between her and the three other horses in her area it won't last long.

She's being hand walked but no working out or lunging at the moment.

I really want her to gain weight. She's 17hh, not sure how much she weighs though, I'd guess right now maybe 1100lbs. She's still in race condition.

Is there something I should be adding?

heyycutter 10-25-2009 02:33 PM

i feed my horse safe choice, and it works great for him. so i think its a good choice to switch to. some people like adding flaxseed oil or corn oil to add weight.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-25-2009 02:58 PM

Awesome! Thanks!!

horsechick 10-25-2009 06:12 PM

i had an appy and throughbred and the corn oil worked really well i lived in new york for 10yrs and the winters up there are really hard on horses so i would also put a little of soy on top of there grain which i got from a local feed mill that really worked too it was like crushed soy but it worked for me also im trying stablized rice bran for my 25yr old horse we will see if that works