The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Beet pulp question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/beet-pulp-question-38942/)

Plains Drifter 10-25-2009 03:47 PM

Beet pulp question

How much beet pulp can I feed? And do I feed it once or twice a day? There are two thoroughbreds on our farm. (not ours) that we are trying to put some weight on and I was just able to get some beet pulp? They are both over 16 hands and both are about 200-300 lbs underweight. (give or take a few lbs.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

jazzyrider 10-25-2009 06:51 PM

my guys each get 300gms (before soaking) once a day. my guys arent underweight though. my suggestion would be to give a little more than that, say 400gms a day but divide that into a feed morning and night. two feeds a day are better when trying to get weight on a horse. beet pulp is fantastic for weight when used in the right amount

sorry, im not sure what gms is in lbs but im sure someone can help there :)

Plains Drifter 10-25-2009 08:31 PM

453 grams is a pound. (give or take a bit.) So maybe 1/2 a lb morning and half a pound? Would that be a dry pound (before soaking)?

If anyone else has input, please let me know.

And PS..these are not my horses!

kiwigirl 10-26-2009 02:44 AM

I am assuming that you are refering to suger beet (as we call it in NZ). Brilliant for putting weight on a hard done by horse. I had a TB/QH x who couldn't keep weight on while he was growing. I had a bucket that had litre marks in it and I would fill it up to the first litr mark with dry pulp and then it is 3lts if water to every kilo. So approximately 1kg dry beet to 9lts of water. And I feed that out over two feedings.

I mixed the feed at night because beet needs a good long soak so I found overnight to be perfect. If you mix it up and it seems like alot and you feel that you don't want to feed it all, make sure that you throw any excess away. Don't decide to feed the extra the next day it gets fermenty really quickly once it is wet. Hope this helps, good luck with thin horses.

kiwigirl 10-26-2009 02:48 AM

Sorry just a quick note the 1kg to 3lt is the right ratio to mix dry beet with water - not neccessarily what your horses should be fed.

toadflax 10-26-2009 08:06 AM

This is an excellent article on beet pulp that I found when first starting my underweight mare on it---she's the horse in my avatar, very plump and healthy-looking now going in to winter, hurray!

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml

Plains Drifter 10-27-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toadflax (Post 439702)
This is an excellent article on beet pulp that I found when first starting my underweight mare on it---she's the horse in my avatar, very plump and healthy-looking now going in to winter, hurray!

The Myths and Reality of Beet Pulp - Susan Evans Garlinghouse

So how much did you/do you feed? I'm trying to figure out how much I can feed these horses. Right now, they are getting a cup of dry in the morning and at night. Not sure if this is too little or two much?

toadflax 10-28-2009 08:18 AM

My mare is getting 1 quart scoop mixed with other grain at night in her stall, but she's also getting about 9 pounds of a senior complete feed. This spring when she was way too thin and my vet said to let her have as much as she would eat--he also suggested alfalfa cubes soaked but she didn't care for them and they weren't any cheaper.
The terrific thing about beet pulp is you can't hurt the horse with over-feeding it, so I would just feed more or less depending on how thin the horses are and how quickly you want them to gain weight. The worst that can happen if you feed too much is that they'll get fat! I think you could easily feed a quart morning and night if they're really skinny.