The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is Excessive Itching a Sign That She Needs to Be Wormed??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/excessive-itching-sign-she-needs-wormed-38962/)

SpiritJordanRivers 10-25-2009 08:12 PM

Is Excessive Itching a Sign That She Needs to Be Wormed???

My friend Regina's saddlebred is itching like cRaZy!!! It's like, uncontrolable! She hasn't been wormed in a while and she's getting wormed tomorrow, but I was just wondering if this itching was because of the fact that she needs wormer?

free_sprtd 10-25-2009 08:28 PM

She should most definitely be on a regular worming schedule, it's not only unhealthy for her skin, and coat but it can cause gut issues as well. Is she really itchy in the tail? or all oveR? She could have lice or another parasite. I would start with worming her, and then worming again the following month to just be safe. Then continue on a 3 month worming schedule or whatever is preferred for your area/ what is recommended by her vet.

Ryle 10-26-2009 10:20 AM

Itching (I'm assuming in the tail area) can result from pinworms, a dirty sheath/mammary glands, biting insects/parasites, skin infection, etc. So, your friend needs to take a good look at her horse to see if there are signs of any of these problems.

SpiritJordanRivers 10-26-2009 04:37 PM

Thank you guys! Yeah, she's itching all over, but mostly her tail. I'll tell Regina.

Ryle 10-27-2009 10:11 AM

If she's itching all over, then it's most likely not a worm issue.

farmpony84 10-27-2009 10:30 AM

I would deworm her and clean her private area...sometimes that can get crusty and icky.

lucyjay11 11-15-2009 12:28 PM

hey, this ccouldd be whhat we call sweet-itch,this is where the horse is allergic to the saliva on flies (as daft as it sounds) we have a shetland pony tha thas this, he has to be stalled during the hotter months in the day and itches himself to the point where he willdraw bloody, he is also rugged up with a mesh fly sheet which helps a little, also try using vaseline. you can get this diagnosed from the vet. its nothing to worry about, and wont cause anything serious, just a really itchy, scratchy horse!!!