The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Brushing A Winter Coat...Ugh (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/brushing-winter-coat-ugh-38963/)

TheRoughrider21 10-25-2009 08:17 PM

Brushing A Winter Coat...Ugh

I live in Wisconsin so our horses all have pretty thick, soft winter coats by now unless we blanket them. My horse is outside unless the weather is bad and she only wears her blanket occasionaly so she has a nice winter coat. Problem is, she's so muddy when she comes in, I'm not sure how to get all of the mud off. I don't like using a metal curry cumb during the winter but my hard brush just doesn't do the trick. Any hints or suggestions for me?

free_sprtd 10-25-2009 08:21 PM

hmmm that is a tough thing to do! Is their anyway you might be able to spritz just a bit of water over the area and scrub it off, then use a fast drying towel to rub the moisture away? Then brush brush brush brush brush ;)

gypsygirl 10-25-2009 08:40 PM

i would use the metal curry comb ! its pretty much impossible with out one i think !

you could also use a vaccum !

ditzydoo 10-26-2009 02:07 AM

how about a rubber curry comb??
if you have one and lots of elbow grease =]

APHA MOMMA 10-26-2009 02:15 AM

If you absolutely don't want to use the metal curry comb, maybe you could try a regular ppl comb?? I know it has worked for me, also maybe some kid's hair detangling spray. Lol, I don't know, this is just my trick with my horses and it has always worked, but here we don't have much that really sticks.

lexxwolfen 10-26-2009 08:50 AM

I swear by this curry comb. It has helped me removed caked on mud and poo, loose hair when spring comes around, and other "wonderful" stuff that the horse manages to smear all over itself.

http://www.totally-tack.co.uk/acatal...curry_comb.jpg

MN Tigerstripes 10-26-2009 09:51 AM

I have the same problem. Esp right now with all the rain, my paddock is complete mud. Soda & Flame seem to take special delight in rolling and grinding mud all over their bodies. I use a rubber curry in a circular motion, followed by a hard body brush (dandy?). If there is still some mud I will use the rubber curry again. Repeat until clean! I switch up my arms so they both get a workout. :-) My old mare gets like a 3-4" long coat so for her I will sometimes use a dog brush. It never seems to hurt her and it gets through her coat.

TwisterRush 10-26-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditzydoo (Post 439650)
how about a rubber curry comb??
if you have one and lots of elbow grease =]

This is what i use !
i could get a photo of mine, it works amazingly, on my horses, because they get muddy ALOT !
So even in good or bad weather, this willl ALWAYS be in my grooming box. The Bristles are very nice, because they are thick cone looking ones :) !
Ill get a you a photo today.

MN Tigerstripes 10-26-2009 12:35 PM

This is what I use. Soda has sensitive skin so I don't use the harder ones unless he is in full winter coat. Even then I don't use them often. It doesn't look like much, but it works wonders. He is the rolling king and my paddock is full of that clay-type mud, so he is pretty much constantly crusted in clay mud.

Horse Grooming Supplies and Bath Brushes: Tail Tamers Jelly Scrubber Horse Brush

jemulchia 10-26-2009 03:00 PM

If it seems like your horse is still dirty after brushing, you can always go and buy baby wipes, make sure they are unscented and for sensitive skin just incase.

I use them for shows, they help SO much :)