The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   Thrush (

english_rider144 10-26-2009 11:33 AM

Well my boy has really bad thrush. He was outside for 2 years in wet, muddy, nastyness. He is now sore that when i pick his feet he pulls away. I have been treating this but I wanna know is there anything stronger? I'm using just bleach water my friend suggested.

SorrelHorse 10-26-2009 11:55 AM

Jester gets thrush really bad too :(

When you pick it out, is it black and/or moldy? If it isn't incredibly gross and smelly you should be able to just pulle him onto a dry area and it should heal on its own.

You can also buy a seal that works well, but you have to make sure that you pick out all the thrush before applying it otherwise it will lock it in and make it worse. I forget the name, but you can ask the customer service at a tack shop and they should know.

english_rider144 10-26-2009 11:55 AM

its black and STINKS to high heavens.

AlbertaHighCountry 10-27-2009 03:10 AM

Don't Bleach Thrush!!
Thrush is anaerobic, the bacteria don't survive in the presence of air. So, the best way to avoid thrush is to keep your horse's feet clean and dry so air can reach the tissues. DO NOT apply bleach or hydrogen peroxide to a horse’s feet. These so-called “treatments” will burn the healthy tissues of the frog and actually ****** healing. (If you kill the thrush, but also the live tissue, the cycle of thrush will continue as the new dead tissue will attract new bacteria and fungus which will then invade and destroy the tissue again.)
I would trim the loose and overgrown flaps of frog so air and antibacterial can reach the affected tissues, brush/scrub out the feet, wash the hoof thoroughly with mild soap, such as Betadine scrub, and plenty of warm water, dry it off, and spray with undiluted apple cider vinegar.
I'm not an expert, but I love solving these problems.

I strongly suggest you watch this video:

Hope this helps:)

deineria 10-27-2009 12:50 PM

YOU DON'T want to use bleach. . .

Apple Cider Vinegar is a good home remedy, but you are better off buying Koppertox or something similar and treating him while moving him to a dry location. Applying a OTC Athlete's foot cream in additon can help as well.

FGRanch 10-28-2009 12:15 PM

Great Vid, AHC. ((Hehe, same initials as Albert Health Care :))

I'm not sure if I would suggest a sealer. Air needs to circulate in order for the thrush to heal and the sealer would block air flow right? I've never dealth with thrush, but did take the time to learn alot about it since our springs can get pretty nasty wet here.

Remember that a call to your vet is always free, as is a google search. Of course you don't want to call you vet for EVERYTHING, but if you are in serious doubt then go ahead and call.

My Beau 10-28-2009 02:02 PM

I've found the a betadine/water mix works best. Just squirt into/around the frog and it should clear up very quickly (maybe a week or so if it's as bad as you say).

ilovemyPhillip 10-28-2009 02:26 PM

I've used bleack on Prince's thrush, but I'm going to start with Aplle Cider Vinegar. Sounds much less... toxic. More natural :D

Vidaloco 10-28-2009 02:44 PM

Use the apple cider vin. as a preventative. During really wet months I try to keep the girls feed cleaned out and then spray some ACV on them. Put it in a spray bottle it makes the task much easier.
I also took the recommendation of my farrier and barefoot trim advocate Pete Ramey. Mix equal parts of athletes foot cream containing clotrimazole and triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin.
I keep large syringes and put the paste into one of them. That way you can really get it down in the crevices.
Its well the money to keep an assortment of syringes around for this sort of thing. I get them via Dr.s Foster and Smith

barefoothooves 10-28-2009 11:09 PM

Don't use Koppertox or those sorts of commercial preps. They are harmful to healthy tissue and can exaccerbate your horses' tenderness.

ACV mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle, applied after picking out the feet every day and providing a well drained area to go will do wonders for your horse. Once it's cleared up, the ACV can be used preventatively about once or twice a week during wet seasons.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome