The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   ham string (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ham-string-39024/)

kita 10-26-2009 03:56 PM

ham string

Can any one help me,,,my arab has pulled her ham string in her hind leg.
whats the best way to help her get over this? shes on bute every other day,,and i massage aloe vera and arnica gell into it,but shes still very stiff,,
any ideas?
thanks
kita:D

Eventingismylife 11-05-2009 02:10 AM

I would put her on stall rest and hand walk her once a day at first and then slowly work it up to two times a day after a week or so. How many grams is she getting every other day? Why only every other day? I would be giving her at least 1 gram a day- it would help with the swelling. I would also cold hose it twice daily if it is not too cold. If it is I would ice it instead for about 15-20 mins twice daily and put a gel liniment on it after wards.

tealamutt 11-05-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eventingismylife (Post 450779)
I would put her on stall rest and hand walk her once a day at first and then slowly work it up to two times a day after a week or so. How many grams is she getting every other day? Why only every other day? I would be giving her at least 1 gram a day- it would help with the swelling. I would also cold hose it twice daily if it is not too cold. If it is I would ice it instead for about 15-20 mins twice daily and put a gel liniment on it after wards.

Bute is hard on the kidneys and stomach and should be used judiciously.

AlmagroN 11-05-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tealamutt (Post 450784)
Bute is hard on the kidneys and stomach and should be used judiciously.

theres no reason the horse cant have it every day while this is healing. bute takes away inflammation, which is what is needed here. its not like the horse will be on it the rest of their life. though i have seen many many horses that WERE on bute for a very long period of time really it helped them more than hurt them. but that also depends on the circumstances.