The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How can I get more practice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-can-i-get-more-practice-39066/)

Clementine 10-26-2009 11:55 PM

How can I get more practice?

I've ridden once a week at a small barn an hour from my house for the last 7 years - about two years ago, I tried to switch to a closer stable, but found myself right back at the place I started (which is not at all bad) - I love the horses there, and the people are all like family to me. All of that said, it's just too far away for me to go more than once a week, and I feel like, at this point in my riding, the only way I'm going to progress is to have more practice - I know what I need to do, but I just don't physically have the control over my body needed to do it properly.

I have tried finding a horse to lease near me, but there just isn't anything - I've browsed ads, I've posted wanted ads, and I haven't found anything good. And I can't afford to buy my own horse (actually, I could buy it, but not afford to keep it :cry:), so that is unfortunately not an option.

What else can I do???

Equuestriaan 10-27-2009 06:41 AM

I have the same problem. I only ride once a week, too. What I do instead of trying to ride more often (cause I know my parents won't let me) is I try to get the most out of my lessons every time I go. After a lesson, I think about what I need to work on and set two goals for the next lesson (a flatwork goal and a jumping goal). Also, in between lessons, you can run or lift weights or do pilates to strengthen the muscles you use to ride. And don't forget to read lots about horses and watch tons of videos. =D

PechosGoldenChance 10-27-2009 11:44 AM

Well also, you could look around for a new friend that has horses. That way you could ride all the time! haha. I had a huge problem just like yours before i met my fiance whos aunt has horses. I actually became good friends with my ex's girlfriend and she has horses and we rode all the time. But now that i'm with my fiance, i'm at his aunts house everyday riding and i'm actually training one of her horses right now to bridleless ride.

ridingismylife2 10-27-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equuestriaan (Post 440622)
I have the same problem. I only ride once a week, too. What I do instead of trying to ride more often (cause I know my parents won't let me) is I try to get the most out of my lessons every time I go. After a lesson, I think about what I need to work on and set two goals for the next lesson (a flatwork goal and a jumping goal). Also, in between lessons, you can run or lift weights or do pilates to strengthen the muscles you use to ride. And don't forget to read lots about horses and watch tons of videos. =D

Same here.
I try to get my mom to film me riding, so that I can see what I'm doing wrong/right and try to fix it next time.
My riding barn is only like 25-30 mins away and i can get there quit easily with the bus, but I can't afford anymore lessons. :'(

Clementine 10-27-2009 11:27 PM

All good suggestions, but I have to admit I was hoping that you guys would have some sort of magic solution... :(

Survalia 10-29-2009 06:37 PM

I'm currently reading a book called "Zen and Horses.' The author cites a study in which one group of basketball players practiced 20 minutes a day, and another VISUALIZED practicing 20 minutes a day. The second group improved almost identically to the first group! I have very recently started doing this a little bit (not disciplined enough for 20 minutes a day), but it is really too soon to tell if it is helping. At any rate, I figure it can't hurt, and it does help with being mentally prepared. Add that to the exercise, and who knows? It might just be magic. :wink: Let us know what happens!

Stepher 10-30-2009 09:54 AM

Is there a local classifieds or forum you could post in? Just post that you are looking to get in some riding. Not sure what level you are, but there is usually always people looking for someone to ride their green horses and put miles on them.

Clementine 10-30-2009 11:32 AM

Stepher - I ride a LOT of green horses...in fact, I can't remember the last time I rode an actually trained one! LOL! I am really hoping to find a solution that would actually involve more riding, like you're suggesting - unfortunately, I can't really find a local classifieds/forum to post in, so I suppose I will just have to keep looking...