The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Bareback pads, why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/bareback-pads-why-39102/)

haviris 10-27-2009 04:33 PM

Bareback pads, why?

Ok, maybe a silly question, but are there benefits to a bareback pad over just regular bareback?

equiniphile 10-27-2009 04:39 PM

I've never used a bareback pad; I'm more country-Western oriented. I think bareback pads are for riders afraid to get dirty lol ;p. It's easier to be connected mentally with your horse when you can feel pressure points through just jeans, feel a horse hollowing his back better, understand discomfort, tenseness, pleasure, to not be behind the movement, etc. That's just my take on it

tempest 10-27-2009 04:49 PM

I don't see the point of them really, so if someone knows really why they use one please let me know I would really like to know why. Isn't the point of bareback to have nothing between you and your horse (except for you clothes of course)?

haviris 10-27-2009 08:10 PM

Well actually I'm in the same boat as both of you, don't really get the point, I remember thinking how stupid it was when they first came out w/ them, but that's why I'm asking. I try to be open about things and thought there may be more to it then I originally thought.

So if anyone knows I'd love to hear, and maybe we'll all learn something!

Vidaloco 10-27-2009 08:20 PM

I believe the one and only reason for them is to keep your britches clean.

MyBoyPuck 10-27-2009 08:27 PM

The point becomes very obvious to you literally, when you attempt to ride bareback on a shark fin withered Thoroughbred. You just can't sit back on your pockets enough to get away from the pain. I'd love to be able to ride purely bareback, but that's just not happening with my horse!

Vidaloco 10-27-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 441366)
The point becomes very obvious to you literally, when you attempt to ride bareback on a shark fin withered Thoroughbred. You just can't sit back on your pockets enough to get away from the pain. I'd love to be able to ride purely bareback, but that's just not happening with my horse!

:lol: I never thought of the pain reason

snoggle 10-27-2009 08:34 PM

I use one and love it. More importantly Honey seems to like it better. I have a pretty boney butt and Honey has a somewhat boney back which makes riding completely bareback uncomfortable for us both. With a pad I still get the benefits of riding bareback, without the pain for either of us. Plus, mine has a small pocket on it so I can carry keys, chapstick, etc. I probably wouldn't bother with it if Honey were a bit "fleshier" on her back.

Jillyann 10-27-2009 08:53 PM

For those who dont know why people use them, or think they are 'stupid', try riding on a horse with high withers completely bareback.. You'll learn extremely fast how nice they really are.

kevinshorses 10-27-2009 11:06 PM

One of the benefits of a saddle is that it protects your horses back. The same would be true to a lesser degree with a bareback pad. As a man I can say that no horse has withers low enough that I want to ride it bareback.