The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Mares (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/mares-39128/)

ChingazMyBoy 10-27-2009 09:08 PM

Mares

Hey,

I will be training two mares, with the help of my instructor (If needed) and I was wondering what mares were like to train. I get all horses are different but I was hoping to here some good and bad stories of people training mares.

Maddie

SmoothTrails 10-27-2009 09:19 PM

I've had some that were easier than geldings and some that were harder than stallions. I would say that generally more mares I've worked with are a little goosy on their flanks, but other than that I always go horse to horse

dressagebelle 10-27-2009 09:26 PM

Personally I love working with mares and stallions over geldings. All the mares I've worked with have been pretty easy to work with, as long as you keep in mind that just like a woman, mares will have days. The TB mare I owned bonded very strongly with me, and once that happened, she had her days, but for the most part she really wanted to make me happy, and trusted me. I currently have an Arabian mare who is very willing, and has an awesome personality. Most mares I've worked with have not been quite as laid back as a lot of geldings are, and obviously when they are in heat, you have to work at keeping their attention. I have heard a lot of people say that they really do not like mares, and would not own one, but I think that mares are awesome. They work well, they perform well, they bond very well with their handler, or owner, or whoever it is that does most of the work with them. The only problems I've ever had with mares have been the stopping at every horse and squirting when they are in heat. Otherwise I've only had positive experiences with them.

ChingazMyBoy 10-27-2009 09:27 PM

Thanks, I've actually got another question. All post it in here just for keeping the amount of threads down. What would you say the first steps of training would be? I am going with getting them to trust me, with stuff like grooming and just sitting in their paddock then leading.

EveningShadows 10-27-2009 09:32 PM

Mares, in my experience, tend to be a little more moody from day to day, a little more sensative, and a little less likely to forget something done wrong. Mares tend to hold grudges more than geldings IMO.

How much experience do you have training? Are these mares started and just green or comepletely untouched? I'd start with ALOT of ground work. Boring yes, but a necessary evil. Don't move on until they've got the groundwork FLAWLESS. Then some desensatizing to tack and round pen work. Get their voice commands in the round pen 110% before going any further. Worst thing you can do is rush the beginning because that's exactly where you'll have to go again in 6 months if you skip steps. Do you have someone around like a trainer for guidance when evaluating how the mares are progressing?

New_image 10-27-2009 09:33 PM

I've always prefers mares to geldings. In my experiece I just get along with them better. I wouldn't say mares are all easier or harder than all geldings but I like the personalities they have. I have found mares and fillies to be quite and lazy compared to geldings. Geldings are more happy go lucky/want to please for the most part but more full of it, like little boys, and with shorter attention spans. Mares on the other hand are like women and we all know what that can entail :)

TwisterRush 10-27-2009 09:34 PM

^
Well personally i would just take some time for bonding, and getting to know the horse more yourself.
I tend to get mares ALL the time over geldings or stallions, for my own horse, i was hoping to get a nice warmblood or something gelding, but instead i ended up with a QH/DRAFT 4 year old mare lol !
The only mare i have had a problem with personally is pepper, who needs more training under her belt, and its hard to train a horse who has already had some bad habits learnt !

But personally start with just some basic things, like grooming, tieing, leading around, moving over when applying pressure. Etc, btw talking to them REALLY helps in my opinion :)
Eventually when you get their personality down and what they like over another thing, you can probably start making a list of things that need to be worked on, what you want to set for goals and what you want to start off with, things you know they will do well at (which is a better choice) and leave other harder things that take awhile aside.
Just any kind of training plan that fits them is going to get you along way !

gypsygirl 10-27-2009 09:36 PM

i like mares =]
i think they are a little more difficult then the boys at first, but once you win them over they will try their hardest for you =]

i would start with lots of round pen and/or lunging work

eventerdrew 10-27-2009 09:55 PM

I have three mares. I have always evented them. I think they are easier to get along with and will give you their heart if you let them. They're great!

Sonnyx12 10-27-2009 10:06 PM

I LOVE working with mares. I feel like they think a lot more than geldings and are much easier to bond with. My last mare was the best horse I have ever had. She was not easy, but I really enjoyed working with her. One thing to keep in mind when working with mares:

You don't say "Hey! go get me a coke!" its more like "Wow I sure am thirsty, a coke sounds so good right now..." ;)