The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Sabino arabian registry (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/sabino-arabian-registry-39173/)

grayshell38 10-28-2009 03:01 PM

Sabino arabian registry

So, I found out that my mare's sire, JLP Captain Cook, is reg AHA but on his maarkings picture he has very sabino markings(Large blaze, three high, jagged white legs). My question is, are you allowed to register a sabino as AHA and not SAHA, or will they not allow you to do that? I am just wondering if he is sabino or just has sabino like markings...

FoxTrottrGrl 10-28-2009 04:45 PM

You can register pure Arabians with sabino markings - I know one mare, known her since she was born actually (I caught her and held her so we could disinfect her umbilical stump ;) ), who is a purebred, registered Arabian, and has some slight sabino markings; white under the jaw and high socks. Neither of her parents have large amounts of white.

We were actually talking a bit about this on another thread on this board...

CheyAut 10-29-2009 04:50 AM

There are MANY sabino purebred/registered Arabs.

Speed Racer 10-29-2009 04:26 PM

As long as she's DNA'ed as a purebred, there's no reason the AHA won't register her.

Heck, even if she's DNA'ed as a partbred, she can still be registered as a Half-Arabian, as long as her purebred Arabian parent is registered.

grayshell38 10-29-2009 08:01 PM

Thanks guys, but I wasn't looking into registering my mare as sabino, I was trying to find out what the likely hood of her sire being one was. And if they would only allow sabinos to be reg. in SAHA then he wouldn't be one, but since they can, I am no closer to that goal. *Sigh* I guess I'll just have to keep wondering. :)

WSArabians 10-31-2009 05:55 PM

You can register an Arabian with the Sabino Arabian Horse Registry (SAHR) however, they need to be registerd with an Arabian Registry (AHA, CAHR) stating that they are full blooded Arabians before they will accept your application.

But yes, only Sabino Arabians can be registerd with the SAHR. It's there strictly to recognize the sabino genes in the Arabian breed.
Whether he was registerd with the SAHR is entirely up to the owner, as it is a different registry than the AHA or CAHR.