The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   How big is too big for a pony? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-big-too-big-pony-39184/)

Ink 10-28-2009 05:10 PM

How big is too big for a pony?

I'm looking into getting horse soon, and I like the idea of a pony. I like something that's low to ground. Not as far to fall lol.
A couple of my school's equestrian team horses are pony sized, and I don't feel like I'm too big for them. So I suppose my question is... am I too big for a pony, and what are my options as far as showing etc.? (Im 5'5 and under 150lbs)

speedy da fish 10-28-2009 05:14 PM

im between 5ft and 5'2'' i spose and the horse im buying is 15hh. hes just about the right size for me. at the stables i sometimes ride a 14.2hh but hes a cob so hes stronger and feels more sercure. i am very little so i can ride anything :P but i wanted something that would jump and that i would never grow out of.

flamingauburnmustang 10-28-2009 05:20 PM

How old are you at the moment? And what is your riding level?

2horses 10-28-2009 05:22 PM

I don't think you're too big for a large pony. I am around your size, and I love riding my stocky 13.3 hand Haflinger.

ChingazMyBoy 10-28-2009 05:23 PM

I guess it really depends, I'm pretty tall and still ride two tiny ponies (not offten, usually Corby the most and thats once a week)

Ink 10-28-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingauburnmustang (Post 442252)
How old are you at the moment? And what is your riding level?

hehe, I'm 21 and about to graduate from college, so I think I'm safe from growth spurts. I'm a pretty confident rider. I've had lots of experience with green horses. I really want something that has good foundations but just needs some finishing.
I'd like to show a little bit too, but it really won't be a priority, at least for now.

Void 10-28-2009 07:34 PM

I'm 5'4" and 125lbs and I ride Medium and Large ponies if they are in training.

As far as showing goes you would need to get a purebred or partbred-but-registerable pony to show it at Breed shows, If you are a Hunter/Jumper person. Otherwise you are too old to show in the Open H/J show pony divisions those are restricted for Juniors. You could show the pony in the Adult Hunter/Jumper classes but you'd have to worry about getting the striding, you would need a large with a nice large stride.

You could show Open and Adult flat classes just fine.

grayshell38 10-28-2009 07:44 PM

I'm 5' 3" and I ride a 14.3hh arabian,and I actually think she is just right for me even if I sprout a couple more inches(PLEASE!!!) I think you'd be fine on a larger pony as my friend's mother rides her 14.1hh pony around sometimes, but he's a stocky, lazy thing. :) So you could even consider small horses too, unless you are set on wanting a pony. There are some cute quarter ponies out there pretty much anywhere that might do the trick. Good luck!

Crimsonhorse01 10-28-2009 08:08 PM

I like the larger ponies myself. I think its rather silly to have a 16hh when your only 5' like myself. The tallest I will go is 15h. Personally 14. 2 is a great height. My mare April is 13.2-14 hands and is the best. Smaller horses also mean less to feed. :)

CheyAut 10-29-2009 03:00 AM

Height isn't all that matters, build does as well. So you just need to try out different ponies. I'm only 5' (and at 29 y/o I'm definately not growing lol) so I MUCH prefer ponies. I have a 13h Fell, a 13.3h Arab/something and a 14h Welsh Cob/Haflinger (plus two pony yearlings: a Welara and a Haflinger). I feel equally comfortable on the stocky 13h Fell as I do on the more slender 13.3h Arab cross and the middle build 14h Haffy cross, so that's always nice ;)

Oh and my friend who is... 5'10"? Something like that... rode my Arab cross and Haffy cross and was just fine on them (she's a skinny girl, but her tallness didn't look too out of place on my shorties lol).