The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Weight swift in turning (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/weight-swift-turning-39191/)

Lenuccia 10-28-2009 06:36 PM

Weight swift in turning

Reading around in the western section I found an old thread about what leg people use to make the horse turn: outside or inside leg. Seems that more people use the outside leg.
Well, that made me think of something else: What about weight swift? Do you kind of lean a little to the inside (to the left if you are turning left and so on) I mean, when you turn, how do you actually DO it? What do you use first? Leg, weight swift, rein?
Enlighten me, please :-D

Lenuccia 10-28-2009 06:55 PM

SHIFT, not SWIFT, sorry everybody! :-)

ChevyPrincess 10-28-2009 08:16 PM

Well, I use my outside leg, (my horse neck reins) and the rein at the same time as more re-enforced. But as far as leaning, if your horse turns right, at a walk, leaning isn't that big of a deal, but going around barrels, you lean more, but, you keep wait on BOTH stirrups. Even if you lean to the left, press your right foot down and keep pressure on your right foot to keep balance. Does that make since? I hope? =]

Ink 10-29-2009 12:07 AM

I'm confused on the inside/outside leg. Unless you mean just the outside of the turn you're making at the time. I usually think outside and inside just when I'm on the rail... Any way, I would think you have to use the opposite leg of the direction you're turning i.e. you want to turn left to you cue with your right leg. You push your horse into the turn with your leg. It's the same basic concept as the neck rein.

As far as leaning goes, you really don't want to noticeably lean into a turn. (I'm thinking in terms of horsemanship here) You should look up and around to where you want to go, your body will follow your head enough to give the horse an idea of what you want.

I usually look, and then leg/rein at the same time, more leg than rein.

I hope that helps and isn't just terribly confusing.

Lenuccia 10-29-2009 04:00 PM

Turning...

Ink,
that made very much sense! :-)
My doubt came as I was reading something in another forum about turning and they talked about the weight shift (and then I read something more in this forum and got all confused). But I never did that, I only look and turn my head and then leg&rein. So that's fine, I'm doing the right thing. Actually it also works on my horse so... :-D

Thanks a lot!

MN Tigerstripes 10-29-2009 04:43 PM

I actually use both legs when I turn. I didn't used to, but I think it's helped to keep Soda from dropping into his turns.

If I want to turn right: Left leg cue a little behind the girth to signal him to bend his hind; right leg at the girth to give him something to turn around, to keep him from falling in, and to keep moving; and then right rein (not that much). The way my friend described it was to make chute with your legs. I'm not an expert though.

wild_spot 10-29-2009 10:04 PM

I keep my body in line with the horse - I lean no further than the horse is leaning.

StylishK 11-08-2009 09:26 AM

For me,

Lets say I want to turn right. My first cue is my right let comes off, I put wait into it and open it up. Much like opening the door. This causes her to start to follow it, and then I reinforce with by come in with my left leg, the cue for this is between my cantering cue and my spinning cue. This way she knows I just want a turn not, a spin.

When I ride her bridleless if she is ignoring me a little bit (mare ish moment haha) and I'll kind of shift my wait to the right (when I'm turning right). However, not a lot, and I prefer to keep my wait pretty even when I'm riding. It's kind of a last resort thing before I start to get a little more firmer with my other cues.

The only thing I really do weight wise is when I lope on the right lead I put more weight in my left seat bone. And Left lead is right seat bone.

PaintHorseMares 11-08-2009 09:51 AM

Some folks may disagree, but IMHO as long as you have balance and your horse understands and responds to your hand, leg, and seat cues, you can cue anyway you feel comfortable (including shifting your weight).

StylishK 11-08-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 454397)
Some folks may disagree, but IMHO as long as you have balance and your horse understands and responds to your hand, leg, and seat cues, you can cue anyway you feel comfortable (including shifting your weight).

I agree 100%.

Like anything in the horse world that are 100 ways to do the except same thing.