The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   This is why I HATE barbed wire. Beware long and graphic. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-i-hate-barbed-wire-beware-39201/)

back in the crosby again 10-28-2009 10:10 PM

This is why I HATE barbed wire. Beware long and graphic.

Last night I was working on somethings in the house and I heard my mare reminding me that it was almost feeding time. About 10 minutes after I heard her I finished up what I was doing and went up to the barn to feed. I walked up to find an open gate and both of the horses were gone from the pasture.

Earlier that day my husband and I had been up at the barn doing some clean up and I had seen him latch but not lock the gate. I told him that Rain (my paint) can open the gate if it is not locked. I proceed to do what I was doing assuming that he had locked it. I did not look at the gate again.

But here I was alone with an open gate and no horses. I called my neighbor and asked him to call me if he sees them and give him my new cell number that I had just changed. I got in my truck and headed out to find them. I found them in my other neighbors yard. There was a barbed wire fence between them. I went to my paint and put her halter on. I had to walk away from my other mare to go around the fence to get to her. As soon as she saw that I was walking away with Rain she panicked. She started to scream and pace the barbed wire fence. I tried to calm her with my voice, but she tried to jump the fence. She did not make it. I got to her as quickly as I could, she quietly stood while I untangled her back legs and got a halter on her. At this point we are in the middle of the road. She was gushing blood from one of her wounds and I put pressure on it as soon as I could. A man and his son were driving up and stopped to help. I had the man hold her head and had his son take Rain back to her pasture and described in as much detail as I could how to close the gate and lock it properly. The kid probability thought that I thought he was in idiot. Another car stopped and gave me a bed sheet to put pressure on the the wound I had just been holding with my hand. My neighbor came on his four wheeler and held pressure on the wound so I could call my vet.

Of course it was after hours and all I got was the answering service, so I had them page the vet. I called my trainer next who happened to be with a good friend of ours who is also one of the vet techs from my vets office. I told them what was happening and they said they were coming right away. They informed me that my vet was out of town at a horse show. Another vet was on call, he called me next. I told him what was going on and the best description I could of the wounds. It was completely dark out by this time. I moved her to the street light to get a better look at the wounds. The one that had been gushing had slowed to a drip. The vet on call said that he was already in the middle of pulling a dead calf and would not be able to be there for at least 2 hours.

I walked her back to my property and my trainer and friend pulled up. We gave her injection to help with pain and inflammation. My friend had called my vet on his cell phone, so I was able to talk to him even though he was at the show. He instructed us to give her two different antibiotics which we did. For the most part her wounds had stopped bleeding, so we hosed them with cold water and flushed them with an iodine solution. I talked to the vet on call again and described what we had done and he said he would be there soon as possible. So we waited for the vet.

I went into my house to get more iodine and corral all the dogs inside. There was a copperhead in my living room. The snakes have been seeking out warm places and have been coming into the house when the door has been open. I put a plastic tote over the snake and put all the dogs in a back bedroom. I did not have time to deal with a snake.

When the vet came he stitched up her wounds that needed it and give me some medications and care instructions. When he was finishing stitching her up my husband drove up as he was now off of work. I felt really bad and knew that it had been him that had not locked the gate like I had asked. He had to go in and deal with the snake.

Her leg and wounds are going to heal fine and she did not damage any tendons.

This is exactly why I do not have any barbed wire on my property. I don't care how long you have had horses with barbed wire and they have been just fine. You replace it with safe fencing! This is also why I now double quadruple check my gates and why I am going to put perimeter fencing around my whole place.

Sorry so long, but I felt I should get this out.

LeahKathleen 10-28-2009 10:20 PM

Glad she was not seriously injured, and that you had lots of kind neighbors/passers-by to help you.

Sounds like you handled it well, and I'm sure hubby will lock the gate next time.

Best of luck getting her healed!

back in the crosby again 10-28-2009 11:11 PM

Thanks, I probably portrayed myself as being a lot calmer then I was. I was pretty panicked and my good neighbors and friends helped me a lot. I have found out the name of the man and his son, who stopped to help me on the road and where they live. I have not decided what yet but I am going to do something for them.

equus717 10-28-2009 11:23 PM

I am glad that your mare is going to be alright.

shortbusgeek 10-29-2009 03:38 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out okay in the end! I've heard plenty of stories where it didn't work out so well because of barbed wire. We'll never have any barbed wire on any property we have. (We're currently looking to expand.) If it's there, it's the first thing that's going. There's one piece of land we're looking at that has a few thousand feet of barbed wire along the top of the fence, and we've already discussed how we'd replace it with a board and then electric tape across the top of that.

bubblegum 10-29-2009 03:50 PM

glad your mare is going to be ok, your fella must feel really bad about it. i will be puttin my two foals into a field with barbed wire in a couple of days and i am worried about it but all the fields around me for miles have nothing but barbed wire and i am only renting so i dont have a choice, i just hope they will be fine.

Alwaysbehind 10-29-2009 03:51 PM

Sounds like you have great neighbors & friends. I am sure just a nice thank you card will mean a lot to them.

Glad your horse is going to be OK.

I agree with you on the barbed wire.

waterbuggies 10-29-2009 09:06 PM

I can handle the barbed wire issue, I would have had a heart attack with the SNAKE. I don't do snakes.

MacabreMikolaj 10-29-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegum (Post 443130)
glad your mare is going to be ok, your fella must feel really bad about it. i will be puttin my two foals into a field with barbed wire in a couple of days and i am worried about it but all the fields around me for miles have nothing but barbed wire and i am only renting so i dont have a choice, i just hope they will be fine.

I'm not sure how big the field is, but my best advice would be if you can't avoid it, DEFINATELY pick up some rolls of that nylon plastic "tape". We have it in orange and pink, it's super cheap, and I have a piece tied on in between every single fence post. It's probably not neccesary with our girls because they know the fence, but I did it when I brought my 2 year old home. A hyper active youngster doesn't always pay the best attention and I've seen them hit non-visible fences so many times. Any type of wire fence and it's a good idea because it has almost zero visibility to a galloping horse.

It will definately give you a serious advantage in avoiding fence related injuries, especially in youngsters.

Annaland13 10-29-2009 09:11 PM

I don't do snakes either. Good job.