The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   any one have knowledge regarding paint? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/any-one-have-knowledge-regarding-paint-39203/)

Miloismyboy 10-28-2009 10:44 PM

any one have knowledge regarding paint?

Okay, this is going to be kind of long... but here goes.... We have 2 pastures, the upper one and the lower one. The horses get rotated to the upper pasture every winter, we were getting ready to rotate them when a little glitch happened....

My brother in law is getting ready to propose to his girlfriend this weekend, he was going to use field paint to spell out the words "will you marry me" in huge letters on the upper pasture and they fly her over in his friends small plane to do the deal.. for some reason the field paint dispenser thingy stopped working so my brother in law used... Killz. Not just regular latex paint... but Killz. Now aside from the fact that this might effect the ground water/well, and possibly run off into the pond, does anyone know what this is going to do to the pasture itself and how we can fix this? How in danger could the horses be? Obviously I won't be rotating my horses over there but I'm a bit worried about the run off into the pond that the horses can access.

iridehorses 10-29-2009 08:56 AM

My first thoughts were that it would be a problem. However, since it is paint, and not just a latex, it probably will not run. What I would have him do would be to mow and rake the lettering when he is finished. I think you should be OK if you can get it up.

waterbuggies 10-29-2009 10:05 AM

I agree, mow asap with a lawn mower as low as possible not a field mower or bushhog, that way you can get alot lower and cut most of the paint off and rake it up and get it out of the field. I'm not sure if your grass is growing any but I would water it if possible to get some more growth and mow it again.

Miloismyboy 10-29-2009 08:17 PM

thank you guys for your replies.... I really like the mowing idea, it seems the safest and most effective way. My husband is thinking it would be best to burn it off instead.. I'm hesitant to do that, which is the better idea? Burning or mowing?

That girl better say yes to his proposal after all this....LOL