The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Untrained Broodmares? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/untrained-broodmares-39209/)

LeahKathleen 10-29-2009 12:19 AM

Untrained Broodmares?

Ok, so I've been browsing CraigsList looking for a project horse, and I keep coming across ads for unbroke mares - almost always they say "ready to be trained or used as a broomare - your choice" or "never trained because she's a broodmare." Even registered, decent looking mares will have this in the ad.

Is this just ignorance and an attempt to make a sale on an unbroke horse, or is this common practice among breeders?

I don't breed, but I'm willing to bet that it's nonsense.

Any thoughts on this?

kevinshorses 10-29-2009 12:25 AM

I know several ranchers that have mares just for breeding. They may have had other horses they would rather ride or prefer to ride geldings but for whatever reason they haven't ridden them. Some sellers may be trying to hide something but most probably are not.

LeahKathleen 10-29-2009 12:26 AM

See, to me it doesn't make sense.

I can't imagine breeding a horse without some kind proof that its parents are at MINIMUM decent riding horses...

close2prfct 10-29-2009 12:35 AM

I worked a large ranch that had close to 100 broodmares none were handled at all unless being taken to a stud for breeding. Not a practice I am in favor of as I like any horse regardless of purpose to be accustomed to being handled.

kevinshorses 10-29-2009 12:35 AM

Any horse can be a decent riding horse. Alot of people breed for conformation and build the rest. A few months of training will make any horse a decent riding horse. All of my mares have been ridden but some of them haven't been ridden in years and will probably never be ridden in thier lives again. I have other horses that I would rather ride but they make great babies.

LeahKathleen 10-29-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by close2prfct (Post 442624)
I worked a large ranch that had close to 100 broodmares none were handled at all unless being taken to a stud for breeding. Not a practice I am in favor of as I like any horse regardless of purpose to be accustomed to being handled.

I agree. I just don't understand why you wouldn't put that effort into the mares, but I don't breed, so I don't know, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 442625)
Any horse can be a decent riding horse. Alot of people breed for conformation and build the rest. A few months of training will make any horse a decent riding horse. All of my mares have been ridden but some of them haven't been ridden in years and will probably never be ridden in thier lives again. I have other horses that I would rather ride but they make great babies.

Of course any horse can be a decent riding horse, but when I'm looking at foals to purchase, I want to know how the mare moves under saddle, how easy she was to train. Does she buck, bolt, or rear under saddle? It can say a lot about a weanling, I think.

My question is, WHY do the breeders have other horses they would "rather" ride? What's wrong with the broodmare that she isn't being used?

equus717 10-29-2009 01:05 AM

I have broodmares and neither one rides. Their offspring I do ride. Dee the black solid mare dam of Maggie and Cutter I can lead my boys around on her but when I ride her she bucks. She has thrown me over an 8 foot fence not once but 3 different times. I quit working with her. PT on the other hand has never been broke to ride she is 13 years old now. She has a dropped hip so for that I have never rode her. I only got her last year from my vet who gave her to me she just wanted to find a good home for her. We use her as a broodmare. I have straddled her in her stall when she was lying down she did not do anything to make me think that I could not ride her. I am thinking about training her next year in the spring. Dee offspring have been the easiest to train no buck whatsoever. I got offered a $1000.00 for Cutter on her 2 day of training. I told the person that she is not for sale. I do my own training of my horses. I prefer to ride my mares if I could. My other broodmare is broke to ride and I broke her to ride before I started using her as a broodmare. I still ride her even throughout her pregnancy and I only stop riding her when she is raising her foal. After weaning I start riding her again. Most of your ranches they look at the broodmare as an animal only to raise foals. Most of them showed as a youngster and then turned into a broodmare at the age of 3. That is what happened to Dee. She was broke at 2 years old to ride then turned into a broodmare at the age of 3. Maggie was her 13th baby. We if we keep her will probably breed her 1 more time to our stallion. It will be he last foal. She will be 17 in January and I won't breed her until February for a January foal in 2011. I plan on keeping her until we sell her. Her foal this year is also for sale.

Wallaby 10-29-2009 01:59 AM

The place that has my horsemanship class has quite a few unridden/never done anything broodmares. They only ride the geldings, except for one mare. That mare was in heat the other day and she was being really witchy and their response to that was "that's why you don't ride mares!"... I say "seriously?" (in my head)... I mean I personally prefer mares over geldings most of the time, even with "mare days" but maybe that's just me...
People are weird. Haha

mom2pride 10-29-2009 02:02 AM

Alot of bigger ranches prefer to ride and work geldings, because they don't have to deal with heat cycles or other 'hormonal' issues. If you're doing long days of work, I could understand why you wouldn't want to deal with those!

I probably wouldn't suspect anything, really, of a broodmare who's never been broken in\trained, as I would get a vet check anyway. You can ask about her offspring, as that in itself will give you an idea of how she may be as far as trainability, as the baby is half her!