The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what does everyone supplement with? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-does-everyone-supplement-39220/)

BaliDoll 10-29-2009 12:07 AM

what does everyone supplement with?

I'm just curious on what everyone here supplements with. It seems like we have a lot of fans of strategy here, and I have heard some other names, too. I am working on getting a good mix together for Bali, because he'll be fed three way hay at his new barn, which is great, but he needs some supplementation to that.
Anyways, what all do you feed your horsies? especially interested in supplements! :)

free_sprtd 10-29-2009 01:13 AM

I just started on Dynamite free choice minerals and their vitamin product with a squirt of Dynapro (a pro biotic). he had some swelling in his sheath, but it's looking like the pro biotic is working and he's excreting the toxins in his body. The stuff is supposed to be as natural as you can get (supposedly). I'm not going to say yes or no on this product because we just started it last week, but I hear excellent things about the company and several barns in my area sell it.

Ryle 10-29-2009 11:10 AM

I stick with hay and a ration balancer rather than a grain-based feed for my horses during the winter. This helps to provide a balanced diet and appropriate amounts of protein, vitamins and minerals without all the non-structural carbs and/or grains that can lead to health issues.

The only horse that gets something different is my 33 year old pony and he gets 12 lbs of Equine Senior per day plus 1 cup of vegetable oil and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

Alwaysbehind 10-29-2009 11:36 AM

My easy keeper who gets no grain and only grass hay gets Smart Pak Easy Keeper Grass, Smart Tendon, Smart Shine and a probiotic.

I love Smart Pak. They are wonderful to deal with.

My other horse gets no supplements.

kitten_Val 10-29-2009 11:54 AM

I give half-pound beet pulp (mostly) pellets twice a day (buckey's safe'n easy). I supplement it with Purina 12 (min/vit mix), flax and boss.

~*~anebel~*~ 10-29-2009 12:01 PM

Our hay is a grass/alfalfa(30%) mix. On top of this our horses eat 3 pounds of Hoffman's Horse Ration (soybean hull based) a day. My horse also gets about a quarter pound of oats a day, I find he gets quite hot on oats (which I like) but I don't like to feed a lot. Because their feed is balanced with all the "right" stuff in it we don't have to feed anything extra for coats or hooves, etc.
Then for joint care - we don't do oral supplements - they are injected with PSGAG and HA once a month.

kchfuller 10-29-2009 01:20 PM

Maddy:
3 quarts of Strategy, Smart Tendon Smartpak, Flax Seed and Easykeeper Smartpak

Brodie:
3 quarts of Strategy, Flax Seed and Select 2 (in the summer he gets Bug Check Smartpak)

I am going to be moving them both over to:

Strategy, Flax Seep and Cosequin (i am thinking about doing LMF Showtime or Gentle Balance instead of the Strategy but haven't decided)

luvs2ride1979 10-29-2009 01:35 PM

I do not feed any grain or horse feeds that contain grain products. They make my mare fat and my gelding hyper and skinny. I feed free choice quality mixed grass hay, alfalfa pellets, and a custom blended supplement from horsetech.com. I have them add all the major vitamins and minerals, extra magnesium (we're really low in it here and my mare is IR), extra biotin, a HIGH levels of Amino Acids (for good muscle and hooves). The supplement costs me $0.87 a day to feed, which is cheap considering what all it has in it. If I were feeding seperate supplements, I'd be in the $2-3 a day range.

I also give my gelding a joint supplement as he has an old injury. I use Equinyl Combo.

I find my horses hold the weight better, have better condition, grow better hooves & hair, and have better attitudes on a NO-grain diet with proper vitamins. I won't ever feed a commercial horse feed or grain product again, if I can help it ;-).

mls 10-29-2009 01:41 PM

Only what a horse may need to correct anything missing in the hay or grain.

Over supplementing can cause health issues.

BaliDoll 10-29-2009 08:55 PM

Interesting. Everyone feeds so differently! haha

Anyone know much about 3-way hay? I guess it's pretty regional, from what I have read. My horse was on alfalfa back home, which made him really hot, so I am hoping the three way will calm him down some. He has a lot of anxiety issues from past experiences. I am trying to also figure out if he needs anything additional to the feed, I know both the other horses in his pasture are supplemented. (sorry to change direction of my thread a little)