The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Chill Pill ???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/chill-pill-392202/)

bkylem 04-05-2014 10:29 PM

Chill Pill ????

Okay, my lesson each week goes well ,but when cantering or handling small jumps I have a very difficult time relaxing. The ability to chill during my lessons is really holding me back and every instructor says the same thing. I really don't realize I'm that "tight" , but apparently I am. I arrive to the stables about an hour early to clean, muck and tack to release some energy. I also stretch like crazy. I even take prescribed sedatives on occasion, but still am too tense.
I have no fear of the jumps, cantering or even falling. I do know I hold my breath a bit too much and I definetly think too much. When I try to not overthink I obviously begin thinking about not overthinking . :)

Any advice ? I will try anything.

Big thanks !

ShadowRider 04-07-2014 05:17 PM

I like to sing or hum when I get tense - makes me breathe and stop over-thinking things.

EdmontonHorseGal 04-07-2014 06:09 PM

agreed. singing or humming as you ride is great. also, playing music while you ride, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the instructor communicating with you, helps because you can sing along to songs. the music tempo i find helps me relax too, especially if it is in line with my horse's gait/tempo.

another thing i do is make myself yawn, or let out a big sigh and make an incredibly silly funny face as i do it. helps immensely when i feel myself tense up.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-07-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkylem (Post 5125778)
Okay, my lesson each week goes well ,but when cantering or handling small jumps I have a very difficult time relaxing.
Big thanks !

My response to anything that makes me or the horse tighten up and tense up is, repeat repeat repeat. If I tense up at the canter, more cantering until I'm so tired I can't tense up anymore. Tense over a jump? Jump it back and forth until you're so bored or tired, you can't tense up anymore. Repetition is the key for me. :-)