The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Natural Horse Rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/natural-horse-rider-392793/)

peneloppe 04-07-2014 03:07 AM

Natural Horse Rider

How does one define a natural horse rider? (Not to be confused with natural horsemanship)

How do you gauge that a person is "a natural" on horseback? The way he/she sits, communicates with the horse, the riding style?

What factor would make you go, "Wow, that guy/girl was born with a riding streak!"?

boots 04-07-2014 01:09 PM

I've known three guys that I would consider to be naturals.

They were built in a way that suited them to horseback riding, and they had better than average balance. Seemingly effortless. With an independent seat from the start.

Two stayed with horses, one was into martial arts and went far with that.

GotaDunQH 04-08-2014 06:27 PM

Natural ability is a great sense of balance and the ability to "unlock" your body and use it independently....with no undue tension where it shouldn't be.

peneloppe 04-09-2014 08:59 PM

That's interesting, much of it seems down to the balance eh?

I'd only ever heard of one case at my stable where a rider had accidentally got his horse on to a canter on his third lesson and managed to stay on, and ride quite well! Sometimes, I observe some riders to have a certain flair for riding, as if they weren't forcing themselves into a posture or struggling to maneuver.

disastercupcake 04-10-2014 08:29 PM

I agree with that.

I would consider myself a 'natural' rider. I never had formal lessons until last year, yet jumped on horses I didn't know and could win equitation, patterns, western riding.. didn't matter.

I did 12 years of ballet and competitive dancing when I was young, and played soccer for well over 15 years. I have excellent balance and rhythm, and I have always been able to 'read' animals very well. All things you need for riding horses ;)