The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Hannoverian/First Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/hannoverian-first-horse-39291/)

EventingIsLovee 10-29-2009 11:09 PM

Hannoverian/First Horse

Well my favorite breed is the Hannoverian. They seem very strong to me and have good bloodlines. I also like them because they seem to jump very well and have great stamina. Does anyone agree with me on this? I lease horses for now, until my dad buys this business and does well with it. Then, once we are settled with that, I might get my first horse eventually and I really want a Hannoverian. What other horses does anyone know about that are ideal for eventing? I don't want a thoroughbred though-- they seem to be very hard work to train and deal with most of the time and require lots of time and patience. I will most likely only be going novice by the time I actually buy a horse, so does anyone have suggestions?

gypsygirl 10-29-2009 11:18 PM

i love hanoverians as well !! i own a hanoverian/tb cross & she is really quiet & sensable =]

Gimme A Dream 10-30-2009 05:07 PM

I have an Hanoverian gelding who is a nervous wreck sometimes. Lately he has been fine but I expect a whole slew of trouble and sickness in a few days when I have two more geldings arrive on the property. Gimme A Dream (the 17hh Hanoverian) will be placed in his summer field for a few days with his mares, to try to avoid the bad nerves.
Gimme gets so nervous that he will stand and shake the weight right off his bones, have colic and the runs all at the same time. I have to keep him blanketed when there are any serious changes in his life to ward off shock. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was inbred for generations. Still, I love the big moose but he isn't a pretty horse.

flamingauburnmustang 10-30-2009 05:14 PM

Congratulations! That will be so nice to get a horse. = )

All I can say is NEVER rush into buying the first horse you see. I know it is very tempting, because the first horse may seem perfect, but you may find another horse that will be better. I say that when buying a horse, you have to at least have seen 50 different horses before making the decision. A horse is not something you can just give up the very next day.

Are you planning on jumping with your next horse? Or just flatwork?

Mrs B 10-30-2009 05:28 PM

Don't classify an entire breed as having "X" personality. Training any horse will take time and patience. And as flamingauburnmustang said, don't rush into buying a horse just because it is a Hanoverian. You might end up with a horse that is harder to train than you thought a TB would be.

EventingIsLovee 10-30-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingauburnmustang (Post 444425)
All I can say is NEVER rush into buying the first horse you see.

Are you planning on jumping with your next horse? Or just flatwork?

Trust me, I know this! ;)
And I'll be doing eventing. It's not that I'm getting a horse very soon, because we still aren't 100% sure yet. It will probably still be awhile.

EventingIsLovee 10-30-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 444438)
Don't classify an entire breed as having "X" personality. Training any horse will take time and patience. And as flamingauburnmustang said, don't rush into buying a horse just because it is a Hanoverian.

Yes, I know I'm definitely not rushing into it at all, because I am leasing a horse that is near perfect for me right now for the time being. And I don't usually match certain personalities to certain breeds. It's just that some thoroughbreds in general have high temperment. I mean, don't get me wrong, more often than not, they are magnificent horses and could probably make it to the olympics, I just particularly want to stay away from thoroughbreds.

flamingauburnmustang 10-30-2009 06:10 PM

Okay, that's alright. It then gives you more time to think about it. And it's not always true about TBs. Some of them can actually turn out to be very well behaved horses. It depends on the training. If this is going to be your first horse, then maybe you should get a horse that has already started basic jumping and dressage. At least...

Spyder 10-30-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimme A Dream (Post 444419)
I have an Hanoverian gelding who is a nervous wreck sometimes. Lately he has been fine but I expect a whole slew of trouble and sickness in a few days when I have two more geldings arrive on the property. Gimme A Dream (the 17hh Hanoverian) will be placed in his summer field for a few days with his mares, to try to avoid the bad nerves.
Gimme gets so nervous that he will stand and shake the weight right off his bones, have colic and the runs all at the same time. I have to keep him blanketed when there are any serious changes in his life to ward off shock. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was inbred for generations. Still, I love the big moose but he isn't a pretty horse.

Hmmmm
"G" line hannovarian? The sire is ??

gypsygirl 10-30-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 444566)
Hmmmm
"G" line hannovarian? The sire is ??

im wondering too !