The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Does anyone ride in a "Custom Saddle" such as the Wolfgan Solo??? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/does-anyone-ride-custom-saddle-such-39310/)

HalfPass 10-30-2009 11:20 AM

Does anyone ride in a "Custom Saddle" such as the Wolfgan Solo???

Hello
I had the opportunity to ride in this saddle in my Dressage lesson Thurs. It was a total dream. I loved the feel of this saddle and I am now considering purchasing one for my second horse.
Custom Saddl
I was able to feel a huge difference between this saddle and the Albion I have been riiding in.
I am also going to try one of the used saddles from my local feed store on my horse Ty.
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this saddle.
Custom Saddlery has many other saddles they offer as well.
HP

~*~anebel~*~ 10-31-2009 12:54 PM

Just sold my custom Schleese in favor of something that actually fit my horse...

ridergirl23 11-09-2009 08:05 PM

i ride in a DK saddle... i absalutely LOVE it. ive never heard of that saddle?!

HalfPass 11-09-2009 08:10 PM

Hey thanks ridergirl

You can look at it by going to www.mysaddle.com
Then click on the Dressage section.
HP

MyBoyPuck 11-09-2009 08:40 PM

Dumb question. Custom to fit the rider or the horse? I've always wondered how it would feel to ride in a saddle that was designed to fit my own horse, but it seems like a losing battle. You spend all that money to fit him perfectly, but his shape changes as training progresses. At some point, it's not going to fit so well anymore and you're back to being off the rack so to speak.

ridergirl23 11-09-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 456008)
Dumb question. Custom to fit the rider or the horse? I've always wondered how it would feel to ride in a saddle that was designed to fit my own horse, but it seems like a losing battle. You spend all that money to fit him perfectly, but his shape changes as training progresses. At some point, it's not going to fit so well anymore and you're back to being off the rack so to speak.

my every few months or so i get it checked...and i know the basics of fitting a saddle so i can usually tell if it needs to be fit again.

~*~anebel~*~ 11-09-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 456008)

Exactly! And then the guy that does DK being himself won't actually come to your barn to fit your horse unless you threaten him (or if he's decided he likes you and you are near where he is). And Schleese is on the other side of the country and only come out twice a year. And if you have anyone else touch your saddle, then your warranty is invalid, etc.. etc..
Plus the oh so wonderful air panelling system that comes with most of these "custom" saddles pop at the worst times (ie during transport to a show/clinic) and bounce around on your horse's back if you don't have the saddle cinched so tight that your horse can't breathe.
The other thing is although these things are "custom", they pull a stock "one size fits all" tree off the rack, adjust the width of the gullet and it's "custom"... *roll eyes* So if your horse needs a different shaped tree, you're S.O.L. because there's only one shape. This is not so with some manafacturers, they will do a fully custom tree (Regal and CWD pop to mind) but you're looking at paying as much as you could for a nice used 03' Mazda.

My advice after having been through one of these things is to save your money and buy a well made saddle like a Passier, a KN, etc.. Something that will last you more than oh say, 4 years before needing major repair, at least. Then use the money you saved to buy a nice matching bridle, and when you sell your horse in 5 years, your saddle will have resale value!

ridergirl23 11-11-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 456313)
Exactly! And then the guy that does DK being himself won't actually come to your barn to fit your horse unless you threaten him (or if he's decided he likes you and you are near where he is). And Schleese is on the other side of the country and only come out twice a year. And if you have anyone else touch your saddle, then your warranty is invalid, etc.. etc..

the guy that owns DK is the barn my barn owners husband :D haha hes usually in some random place in the world fitting and selling saddles, but when he is at home he fits our saddles. thats how i got a DK!:wink:

HalfPass 11-11-2009 12:31 AM

I actually got to ride in a Passier the other day and I really liked the way the saddle felt. That particular saddle is not for sale but the woman who let me barrow it just left me a message telling me there is another one from a friend of hers that she dropped off at the barn for me to try. It is for sale and is now just a metter of making sure it fits well.
My one horse is having some major issues right now and I wil be calling out the chiro. I am not riding him for a while. This leaves my new horse to get a sadlle for. I am having her start training tomorrow so I am excited about that one.
HP

ShowJumpLife 11-11-2009 09:27 PM

I have a custom barnsby but I hate it and prefer to ride in my wintec.