The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   full seat breeches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/full-seat-breeches-3932/)

blossom856 10-20-2007 06:54 PM

full seat breeches

I had a lesson today and my instructor had us sit the trot with no stirrups. My horses trot is a bit bouncy and I was sliding all over the place. At one point I actually slid off onto the ground in slow motion, lol. My instructor suggested that I get some full seat breeches. But they're so expensive and I might have to wait a week or two until I can order some. In the mean time what should I do? Should I try some of that saddle tite stuff? Does that work? Or should I super super glue my butt to the saddle, lol. Thanks.

Vidaloco 10-21-2007 08:58 AM

Grabbing a handful of mane might help. You might also look into some of the cheaper breeches, I have seen them for as little as $40 at amazon.com if you don't mind buying online. Are you ridng in a school saddle or your own? If its the schools do they have any with a suede seat? that can help too.

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-21-2007 12:04 PM

do you have a pair of chaps?, they can help too!! yes grabbing a hand full of main dies help, i used to cross my sturrips over the pommel when i found my self to bouncy in the saddle, one of the tricks i did to streinthen my leg's for that was i got a thigh buster...that help a lot

Vidaloco 10-21-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KANSAS_TWISTER
do you have a pair of chaps?, they can help too!! yes grabbing a hand full of main dies help, i used to cross my sturrips over the pommel when i found my self to bouncy in the saddle, one of the tricks i did to streinthen my leg's for that was i got a thigh buster...that help a lot

I got one of those exercise balls that you are suppose to sit on and bounce but I found it really helps to straddle it and squeeze my legs together. Not something you want your friends and neighbors seeing you doing :oops: :lol:

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-21-2007 08:34 PM

lol uuummmm no!! just becare about the bal they had some thing about it on kake a while back about the ball.

Sara 10-21-2007 11:24 PM

I've never tried the saddle tite stuff, so I can't comment.

It sounds like you are very stiff in your hips; let your legs hang very long and feel the motion...right side drops, left side drops, right side drops, etc...relax your thighs and let your hips follow that motion. I honestly can't imagine that a stickier seat will help much, but I'm not going to nay-say your instructor.

Anyway, I don't know if full-seaters will help you, but I love them; they tend to last a lot longer, so I think they're worth the extra green.

blossom856 10-22-2007 05:48 PM

it's definitely an issue of the saddle being to slippery. i was trotting bareback and had no problem staying on.

Sara 10-23-2007 10:03 AM

Fair enough. How is your shopping going? :)

blossom856 10-23-2007 11:28 AM

i think i'm going to try the full seats. i found a pair online for about $65 including shipping.