The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Hmmm, what to do??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hmmm-what-do-39331/)

sophie123 10-30-2009 05:09 PM

Hmmm, what to do???

I have recently got to weanlings. They are New Forest ponys, Ruby was out on the forest and is really good. Poppy is only 4 months and is really scared. They are in the same stable, although i am working on that. Ruby is the oldest and the best behaved, she allows me to touch her all over and run a soft brush over her. She also allows me to nearly pick up her feet. Poppy however runs to the back of the stable when i walk in. She tries to kick me when i stroke her. But strangly lets me pick up her bucket and feed her. She has a headcollar on.
What i do so far is sit in the stable letting her sniff me and feeding her hay. I am quite concerned and want to stop this behaviour, just not sure how to. I am prepared to hear the worst and am aware that people are going to be harsh. Thank you in advance.

flamingauburnmustang 10-30-2009 05:19 PM

Do you know their backgrounds at all? Maybe the one was abused or mistreated, or even just frightened, and now she is taking it out on you.

Have you checked your body posture at all. You don't look aggressive or anything? Always remember when you approach a nervous horse, don't square your shoulders with his and don't look straight in the eye. It is seen as aggressive behaviour, and the horse will run away.

Don't worry. There is nothing to worry about. This can happen and you can't do anything about it. = )

sophie123 10-30-2009 05:29 PM

Poppy was in a field, although she was taken off the forest as a 1 day old. So maybe that was a bad experiance. I am always thinking about my posture incase i do look scary. I have a habit of putting my hands in my pockets, so i have to constantly remind myself to get them out so as not to look scary. Thanks for a quick reply.

flamingauburnmustang 10-30-2009 05:48 PM

It's a pleasure. = )

I'm not sure what else you can do. I can suggest join up, but some people don't really believe or agree with that. Carry on with what you are doing now, just quietly sitting in her stable, showing her that you are not a theat at all. Maybe if you can safely lead Ruby around in an enclose area, Poppy can follow, and see that you won't hurt any of them. Maybe if Poppy sees Ruby so calm around you, she will change her mind.

sophie123 11-01-2009 10:32 AM

Thanks this really helped.

flamingauburnmustang 11-01-2009 10:46 AM

It's a pleasure. Let me know how she goes.

SavvyHearts 11-02-2009 10:48 AM

have you tried just sitting on the ground and letting the horse approach you? If the horse is frightened, you sitting on the ground and not paying any attention to her (bring a book, draw, listen to music, text a friend, etc) will put you in a non-threatening position, and with you flipping pages, or moving the pencil, it will sooner or later spark her curiousity.

Also when I got my mare, I couldn't walk directly to her. When a large cat goes to attach their prey, how do they approach? In a straight line! Try going at an angle, keeping your eyes somewhat low and your belly button away (not facing her). If she show's fear, take 3 steps back and wait. Approach and retreat will do wonders.

I myself am not a fan of join-up as it's taking an already confused horse, and asking the horse to move all around you and to keep moving until he/she comes to you. IMO it works good for a hard to catch horse, but not a horse that is scared out of his wits and isn't comfortable with people

flamingauburnmustang 11-03-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvyHearts (Post 447375)
I myself am not a fan of join-up as it's taking an already confused horse, and asking the horse to move all around you and to keep moving until he/she comes to you. IMO it works good for a hard to catch horse, but not a horse that is scared out of his wits and isn't comfortable with people

That is true. Using join up on an already terrified horse will just make them worse.

angelsgrace 11-03-2009 05:11 AM

if you are worryed about you body keep you head turn slightly away and one arm across ur body like a loin sleep the horse knows your a predator but a sleeping one is not as bad stops the hunting look

sophie123 11-03-2009 05:17 PM

She already trusts me alot more, i even walked her out of the stable today. I can brush her on her head and neck now, and scratch her. She still thretens with her bum though.