The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   WINTEC SADDLES AND GULLET SYSTEM (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/wintec-saddles-gullet-system-3942/)

pamment5 10-21-2007 03:29 PM

WINTEC SADDLES AND GULLET SYSTEM

Wintec saddles
Any one buying or has a a wintec saddle be v.v.v.v carefull.
I have an isabell worth dressarge saddle it is fab apart from one thing the gullet system.My horse is a irish draught x tb and takes a xwide gullet threrfore i ordered one it said on the box xwide and as shown on the colour system should be white.it looked white but 5mths after the purches date my saddle started to go wrong,my horse started to avoid the leg and didnt want to bend, looked at my saddle and to my horror the leather that protects the gullet system was coming away as the screw holes where not holding and the seat fabric was splitting.
I tock it back to the shop where i pruchesed it and they got in contact to the supplier.
They requested to know the gullet size and again to my horror was told that the gullet was lilac and i sade that there was no such thing as per scaling system on the gullet packing,i was then told that you can only get this gullet with special xx wide cob saddle and that this lilac gullet should not be used in anything other than the cob saddles and therefore has VOIDED my warranty i only got the saddle in April this year.
The wrong gullet was placed in the wrong box and therefore has cost me the price of my saddle.
I have posted this for two things to ALERT others and to ask any one who this has happened to ,for them to get in contact as i am taking this matter up with wintec,
Many thank :( :o :shock:

Vidaloco 10-21-2007 08:18 PM

I too had a wintec with the gullet sizing. I never had trouble with the wrong size but the screws that hold them in did start to come apart. I finally had to put washer in to hold the screws in place. Guess this wasn't just an isolated thing like I thought.

kitten_Val 10-22-2007 07:28 AM

Good to know! I got one recently. It does fit my horse well (she has weird weathers), but in fact I shouldn't go with changable gullet, but just an older version (as it fits her well with medium).

Jumpit007 10-29-2007 03:16 PM

I have a collegiate with the easy change gullet system. The gullet is a pain in the butt to change, but the screws have held up fine. I have a wide, which is purple I think. I have noticed however, that the colors and gullets vary now. There are several types of easy change gullet systems, which all look the same, so be careful about that.

As far as the saddle and gullet problem you are having, it may be the wintec...I don't like wintecs, because they are synthetic, and don't hold up as well.

Bucky's Buddy 04-17-2008 12:41 PM

Well, I've changed the gullet in my saddle once already, from red to black. Yes, I think you have to have the special "Wide" saddle in order to use the wide gullets. Sorry, but thats kind of a look ahead thing, and boy, do I forget to do that alot! Maybe you can re-sell the saddle, at least for about what you bought it for, and, see if you can get the saddle you need used.

Britt 04-17-2008 08:58 PM

I had a wintec saddle once, and I will NEVER own one again...

Miss Katie 04-18-2008 07:21 AM

Did you be sure to get the skrews thru the holes, and then tighten both properly using a hexagonal key and skrew driver?? And are you sure that you didnt cross thread as you tightened the screws, or that you didnt tighten it entirely on one side before starting to tighten the other?? All these things are basic hardware knowledge, all could cause the saddle to become damaged, and none are the responsibility of wintec.

Also, did you use the proper screws, and were they coated with the protective lubricant??

I cant see that the gullet could change color after use. I could understand that the color could fade, but that doesnt add up to what you have described. If you used a gullet of a different brand, or one of the wintecs that arent recomended for your saddle, it is negligence on your part.

Ive used many wintec products. My Isabel has been changed to both extemes, from the extra wide white my mare uses, down to a yellow to suit a tbred dressage horse for state, and then back up again to white for my girl, without any damage to the saddle.

My2Geldings 04-20-2008 04:05 PM

I own a Winter for training purpose with my young horses. I use it until I know they are going under saddle smoothly enough I wont wreck my good saddle.

The Wintec gullet system is a pain to change. It takes AT LEAST 2 people to change it and you have to be careful when you do do it, that you don't wreck the screws.

I wouldnt get one again for that reason.