The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what do you guys think??? - UPDATED w Pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-do-you-guys-think-updated-3951/)

jazzyrider 10-21-2007 09:41 PM

what do you guys think??? - UPDATED w Pics

this is about my warmblood. since his feet were done on saturday there has been such a difference in him. we can pick out all his feet really well without issues. i got the vet to see him this morning when he was dropping off some wormers for someone else (we've found a lovely old vet who doesnt have his own practice anymore but he comes and sees your horses without charging you except for any meds etc etc). anyway, he had a look at him and the hoof and everything and says hes amazed at how things are going with it. he said to me that i could probably start riding him next week but only doing stuff like walking and maybe a light trot by the end of next week.

i was excited by this but also a little wary. i do trust this vet as he has been a respected vet in the area for many years but im also a little worried about riding him too soon. the vet says because we have such soft ground etc that walking and stuff shouldnt be too bad at all for him

i just want to get other peoples opinions about this. the split in his hoof isnt bad at all anymore as the farrier did a wonderful job and its all coming together nicely but still, i dont want to risk more harm even though he assures me he should be fine.

please dont anyone have a go at me for thinking about it. im more sort of looking at the options and what other people think as well. i will get some pics of his feet this afternoon to add as well. but they arent looking too bad to me either.

Vidaloco 10-22-2007 08:19 AM

I say go for it. Keep it short though maybe 20-30 min.

jazzyrider 10-22-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
I say go for it. Keep it short though maybe 20-30 min.

hiya

along with you, the vet and about 3 people from my paddock have said the same thing now :) my plan is to put him on the lunge on the weekend cause our round yard is extra soft so i figure that will give me a chance to see whether or not he is showing any signs of pain. hes running around the paddock all over the place without any signs of anything so im hoping thats a good sign too :)

thank you :)

Sara 10-22-2007 05:40 PM

I'm glad things are starting to come together with him, Jazzy. Good luck!

jazzyrider 10-22-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
I'm glad things are starting to come together with him, Jazzy. Good luck!

yeah, me too :D thank you, will let you all know how things go :)

jazzyrider 10-24-2007 07:02 PM

just thought i would add that pic i was talking about. everyone will probably wonder what the fuss was all about lol the split looked shorter as soon as his feet were trimmed. the vet thinks its a combination of a good farrier and the supplement that i give him which is helping his feet along so well.

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2112_PA230046_1.jpg

if everything still goes well, i am going to give him a lunge this afternoon. i free lunge without ropes or bridles or halters or anything so he can just do his thing and if he is sore he can just stop. he still doesnt appear to have any soreness which is good :) if everything goes ok, i will hop on him in the round yard tomorrow.

thats the next big step...getting on him. this is a challenge in many ways. a) im 5'3" and he's 17.2hh :? and then b) he is 8. was broken in @ 6 and was only ridden for about 6-8 months. im guessing he is going to be pretty green. after the way i see him bucking and carrying on in the paddock im a little nervous lol but cant wait at the same time. ill only be walking him day 1 anyway so we shouldnt have too many probs :)

Vidaloco 10-25-2007 06:56 AM

Looks really good! Be careful on that ride, hope your round pen has a nice soft footing for a soft landing :wink: You will do fine, just be safe and let us know how it goes. 17.2 !? I would need a really tall step ladder.

jazzyrider 10-25-2007 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
Looks really good! Be careful on that ride, hope your round pen has a nice soft footing for a soft landing :wink: You will do fine, just be safe and let us know how it goes. 17.2 !? I would need a really tall step ladder.

lol yeah the round yard is pretty soft. i dont come out of the saddle easily but i do like an area that would provide a soft landing if it is needed :)

hehehehe im thinking i will need a leg up lol my standardbred is 16.2h and i nearly dislocated a hip getting on him :lol: i cant wait until i can actually move him so he can be with us. he is stuck at a pony club a ways away cause of this stupid horse flu and the quarantine laws. anyhow, thats a whole different story lol

i gave jarred a lunge this afternoon. he was doing pretty well in the beginning. a little lazy but from what ive heard, he wasnt really taught to lunge so it didnt surprise me when he didnt seem to know what was going on. once he got going he seemed to find some energy and carried on like a colt lol i had a few other people there who agreed that it wasnt a pain thing making him do it it was a playful, carrying on kinda thing.

i mainly let him be so he could get it all out of his system. after a while i stopped him and started some frank bell stuff and he responded well and calmed down nicely. he got stubborn a few times and refused to move but with some gentle coaxing he got himself going. no signs of lameness or anything so im feeling comfortable with hopping on him tomorrow.

i will rush home with pics even if i do happen to come a cropper. might be good for a laugh :) might not too :) im hoping for the latter lol

wish me luck :)

Appyt 10-25-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider
just thought i would add that pic i was talking about. everyone will probably wonder what the fuss was all about lol the split looked shorter as soon as his feet were trimmed. the vet thinks its a combination of a good farrier and the supplement that i give him which is helping his feet along so well.

From what I can see in your pic the crack is out of ground contact, yes? If so there would be no reason for it to bother him or for exercise to cause it to widen etc.. Go for it! :)

jazzyrider 10-25-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appyt
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider

From what I can see in your pic the crack is out of ground contact, yes? If so there would be no reason for it to bother him or for exercise to cause it to widen etc.. Go for it! :)

the crack goes from the tip of the hoof and up about an inch now but the actual crack doesnt have ground contact youre right but if i were to ride him on hard ground or something it could still affect it. but its starting to slowly mould together and all things considered his feet seem reasonably resiliant. the vet gave me this greasy concoction to put on it three times a day and its doing wonders. even still, i am more comfortable riding on soft ground until its all better. last thing i want is for it to split up again. i like to baby my babies a bit :) not too much though but enough for me to feel comfortable with how things are going/being done etc :) i didnt even have plans on riding him for a while yet but everyone keeps saying he will be fine so i gave in and accepted that it should be fine.