The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How much ground flax seed do you feed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-much-ground-flax-seed-do-39515/)

ilovelucy 11-01-2009 08:31 PM

How much ground flax seed do you feed?

The title pretty much says it all :-)

Vidaloco 11-01-2009 08:47 PM

We only have 1 horse we give it to so I started buying the FLax snax. The dose is 7 cookies per day. I know that doesn't help much :-|
I know they should be ground to get the benifits of them.

CloudsMystique 11-01-2009 08:54 PM

I give both of my horses a small handful of ground flaxseed once a day. They also get a vitamin supplement that has a little flaxseed in it... so they get a little more than the handful.

MyBoyPuck 11-01-2009 09:51 PM

No more than a cup a day. Flax in large quantities can cause thinning blood and a decreased capacity to clot. At least that's what I read when I did my research.

Sonnyx12 11-04-2009 06:25 PM

when i bought my last horse [he came out of a fancy shmancy barn in wellington, fl] the trainer said the flax seed had to be cooked in a crock pot of it to be effective for the horse. has anyone every heard that?

Luv 2 Trail 11-04-2009 07:00 PM

:?I have heard all sorts of stories! I used to use ground flaxseed that my tack store sold - then I was told it HAD to be refrigerated and I was not keeping it in the fridge - I only bought 5 pound bags, so I did use it fairly fast - it was not stablized, so that bothered me - I am now using Omega Horseshine - it is stablized and has a one year shelf life - I love it and it delivers what it promises. I feed the recommended amount.
I have also heard about cooking the flaxseed - no way I can do that!
There are A LOT of opinions out there - makes for interesting reading!

ilovelucy 11-04-2009 09:00 PM

Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, my internet was down. I have some stabilized ground flax seed. So I am thinking about somewhere between a 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup? I read so much about flax seed this past week I feel like my head would burst. I would love to discuss it some more but I don't have time right now but if anyone else has views on it please chime in!

Maverick101 11-08-2009 12:47 AM

Our horses get 1/2 a cup once a day. I like flax, it really helps with their coats and mane/tail growth.

When I introduced it into their diets about a year ago, they all started to get dapples about 6-8 months later.

My older gelding who had a very thin tail and would only ever grow to just above his hocks is now thick, and just above his ankles.:D

sillybunny11486 11-08-2009 01:13 AM

I give ground flax to both my horses. I buy it whole (a 50lb bag) from the feed mill and ground it for a weeks worth or so. Its fine for winter, but in summer you have to be careful about it going bad. Buying it preground is usually alot more expensive, especially if you buy small quantities at a time. I think they get about 1/2 to 2/3 scoop a day. If you cook anything it looses nutrients. I assume they mean cooking as apposed to giving it whole? Its kind of like oats, if you give whole oats you just see alot of it undigested in the manure.

Maverick101 11-08-2009 08:35 AM

I buy a 50 lb bag at our feed store for like 20 bucks and at 1/2 cup a day, lasts quite awhile.
As with any feed it can go bad if not stored properly. Any feed bags that we open we place in sealable rubbermade tubs, this keeps it air tight, and rodent free.
We can also buy the whole or ground flax, I buy the ground, as it eliminates the step of grinding it at home.