The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   black as knight (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/black-knight-39516/)

gypsygirl 11-01-2009 09:34 PM

black as knight

does it work well ?

does anyone know how long you have to be giving it to them before is starts working ?

thx

TwisterRush 11-01-2009 09:44 PM

Ive heard some good things about it, but i never actually used it.

CloudsMystique 11-01-2009 09:53 PM

It works for me. I give my mare a full cup (like a measuring cup, not the scoop it comes with) once a day. It can take several months for it to start working, because it works from the inside, not the outside, so the horse will have to grow an entire new coat before you will notice a difference. Now would probably be a good time to start on it, because your horse's summer coat could grow in black when he sheds his faded winter coat.

gypsygirl 11-01-2009 09:55 PM

thanks so much !!
i just started feeding her paprika to see if she would eat it, but i am seriously considering getting BAK. i will keep giving her the paprika til i get it though

sixlets 11-01-2009 10:45 PM

I used Bright As Sun (same brand for light horses) and I liked it. I took a couple of weeks before you could really see his coat shine, but I wasn't giving it every day, and I wasn't measuring it exactly. [ I put it in horse treats :) ]

MyBoyPuck 11-01-2009 10:48 PM

It works...sort of. My horse is a dark bay. If I start feeding it to him in early March, before the sun gets strong, he still bleaches out to a lighter bay, but doesn't go completely burnt orange. I may just need to feed him more. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother again next spring. That stuff's not cheap.

MyBoyPuck 11-01-2009 10:49 PM

Duh, that pic under my name is him in mid July. Right now he's almost black. That's as much of a difference as I get. Not bad I guess.

gypsygirl 11-01-2009 11:10 PM

ok thx for the info !

i dont expect my mare to be totally black, but she gets YELLOW on her sides & back which i hate ! haha

SoMuchManureSoLittleTime 11-02-2009 09:45 AM

Horse Show Caution.

As a caution for horse you show that are sometimes blood tested for drugs, do not use paprika as it will show up in the drug test.

I've also been told that an ingredient in Black as Knight also makes you have a positive blood test.

Be careful what you give your show horses or it will backfire.

A handful of black oil sunflower seeds every day increases coat color and shininess without throwing off the drug tests.

gypsygirl 11-02-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoMuchManureSoLittleTime (Post 447323)
As a caution for horse you show that are sometimes blood tested for drugs, do not use paprika as it will show up in the drug test.

I've also been told that an ingredient in Black as Knight also makes you have a positive blood test.

Be careful what you give your show horses or it will backfire.

A handful of black oil sunflower seeds every day increases coat color and shininess without throwing off the drug tests.

i have heard that too ! someone told me though that you just have to stop giving it to them a couple wks before you show.