The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critique These Possible Buys Please!

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  reveriesgirly 
#1 · (Edited)
I would love you opinions on these horses! And would also love to know if you think they're worth the asking prices! Thanks :D

What I'm looking for: A big sturdy horse (im a larger rider at about 250lbs) That is decently trained, solid W/T/C and started over fences, that I can show low/high hunters, Pleasure, Hunter under saddle in the spring, hunter pace and eventually do some low level eventing with!

Colby
Breed: Percheron/Thoroughbred
Sex: Gelding
Height: 17.2 hands
Sellers Comments: Colby is a large guy with a rocking horse canter. He has competed in dressage schooling shows through training level test 4 and has begun lateral work. Last year he learned to jump; this summer he graduated to 2'6" courses and cross country fences. He has a lovely, large but soft jump. I bought Colby as an unbacked three year old and have brought him along under the guidance of professional trainers ever since. Please contact seller for additional photos.
Asking Price: $10,000
Video Link:
http://www.horseforum.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMeCKdhzTP8

George
Breed: Draft(idk what)/Thoroughbred Cross
Height: 17 hands
Sellers Comments:

'Curious George' is a Draft-Thoroughbred cross field hunter. He is being offered for sale as he's more of a second field horse and the owner wants a first field horse. Good with hounds and other foxhunters, jumps well, clips, loads, no vices. Has hunted with Radnor regularly in 2008-2009. Quiet, 'puppy-dog' personality, good barn manners, very smooth gaits. Will trail ride alone or with other horses.
Asking Price: $7,500
Video Link:

Molly
Breed: Spotted Draft
Sex: Mare
Height: 16.3 hands
Seller Comments: Nice on the trails or in the arena. Beautiful trot, easy to sit canter. Green but smart and willing. Jumps small verticles and xrails. Placed 2nd out of 8 on the flat n her first show. Would make a striking dressage mount or hunt horse.
Asking Price: $7,500
No Video

Granite
Breed: Percheron Cross
Height: 18 hands
Seller Comments: Granite is a sweet 18’ hand Percheron cross that would be perfect for everyday trail riding hunting and eventing. He has been low level eventing and has some dressage background. Granite has also been shown at local hunter paces with great success and jumps around at 2’9”. Recently Granite has been fox hunting with Windy Hollow Hunt and has been the talk of the field! He also went to the New Jersey State Fair and was excellent. With no vices and a loving attitude he would be a tremendous fit in any home! He loads, clips, and leads perfectly. His size makes him perfect for a tall gentleman but his disposition makes him suitable for anyone! Don’t miss out on this Mr. Right, they only come by so often!
Asking Price: $10,000 NEG
No Video

See less See more
2 7
#2 ·
I really like the first horse, it the picture he seems to have dressage potential and looks really pretty, I also like the last horse Granite the pictures show it all his jumping looks nice knees are tucked and he is big! asking price seems alright but try him out first and maybe you can negotiate (sp?) a lower price. George looks ok.. but from the viedo I really think that price is too much for that price I would expect a little more balence from the horse and maybe some better head carrage,

But remember I'm not super experenced just my input
Try all the horse out, you never know you might like one over the other :)

#3 ·
Curios George is either a saint or difficult. It is hard to tell from the video. His rider gets left and yanks his mouth off and he keeps going. He picks up the wrong lead a couple of times in there too.

#4 ·
I really like the 1st one, last one would be my 2nd choice. George is OK, and frankly I don't like the look of the paint and they ask way too much for her.

#6 ·
I really like Granite, and colby. I absolutely love the look of the paint, but she is a bit expensive for a green broke horse. Then again, a spotted draft is quite rare :)
Good luck!

#7 ·
I just got an email from Colbys owner, hes being moved for the winter and she's taking him off the market :( She said she'll probably put him up for sale again in the spring, ugh!

I like the look of George, Idk if he's the one but im going to go look at him I think!

I love the look of Granite!! And hes close to me! I'm going to see him Saturday morning at 10am!

#9 ·
I like the looks of george and he looks like he is pretty well broke but i think he would need some work though, and im not sure if its the way she rides or what but she almost acts..... aprehensive (not sure if thats the word im looking for lol) when she is riding him, like she is waiting for him to do something naughty. But it migh just be the way she rides. I dont care what breed of horse it is, i would not pay $7500 for a green broke horse absolutly not lol. Grantie sounds nice he would probably be my pick now since you cant get colby lol.

#10 ·
Granite is definitely my favourite. What a cute lil ******! Okay... What a cute BIG ******! :D
He looks like a very handsome gentlemen.

And I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at the Spotted draft? $7500 for that? Puh-leese!

Colby is STUNNING to look at! and I love the Sabino markings of George.
But Granite as my vote! :)

#13 ·
Just a suggestion, if you want to save some money there are sososo many decent horses going through rescues right now. Even a website stationed in my area that I looked at tonight have several nice looking drafts! It wouldn't be a bad idea to find a nice prospect and send it to the trainer for the winter in whatever discipline you want, and have it come back a machine! And if you actually do have all of that money to spend, a custom saddle/tack would be a nice treat.

Just a thought. And it'd always be cool to be able to say "oh, I got my drop dead gorgeous boy at a rescue for <dirt cheap>." Haha maybe that's just me... but definitely check it out. The market is so terrible for green horses, it'd be very easy to snag a great deal this winter. I know I'll be looking.

#14 ·
I'd go with Colby if I was you. He's gorgeous, a nice mover, and he looks very sane and quiet. He's the perfect age, too.

#15 ·
Kerplop, I understand what you're saying :) But I already have a green horse, a 5 year old, insane, mare that im totally training myself, What Im looking for is something already made that I could get on and show tomorrow if I wanted to...

#16 ·
Colby seemed like a nice horse, but since he's off market, I would definately take Granite. He is a stunning horse with all the right things you would want. I would suggest trying him out and seeing how he goes with you. I would think that $10 000 is not too much for him, but if you can, try and see if you can negotiate.

Don't even consider Molly, and George just doesn't really catch my attention.

#17 ·
Colby was by far my favorite, too bad he's not available. George I don't like - he looks very resistant to contact with the bit.

Granite is huge - perhaps a little too drafty, if you're looking for something that you can eventually do some eventing with. However he certainly seems to be the best trained one on your list. And he's very handsome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.