The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   barrel saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/barrel-saddles-39554/)

Snowyowl 11-02-2009 12:21 PM

barrel saddles

Hey all barrel racers,
I'm looking at buying a barrel saddle and wondering what everyone likes.
What is your favorite brand?
Square skirt or round?
Treeless or tree?
Any thing else you have to help me out would be great.

I do not ride a lot and I would be doing games with this saddle too. My daughters have a RS saddle and they like it.
Thanks for your help

chika1235 11-02-2009 01:11 PM

i like the round skirts with a saddle tree.i dont have a barrel saddle but i use a very lightweight trail saddle.it works just as well.i have a fabtron brand trail saddle.its a good all around saddle that i do barrel racing in.plus i can ride my gaited horses in it too!

ChevyPrincess 11-02-2009 03:21 PM

Actually, from my research, there isn't much difference in a barrel saddle, and a regular saddle. Some barrel saddles have round skirts, others have square skirts. When I start, I will just use my lightweight Wintec saddle. It has two girths, and is if not lighter, the same style as barrel saddles I have seen. I think they just do that so they get more money, but a lightweight Wintec saddle is no different than a barrel saddle.

Tennessee 11-02-2009 07:08 PM

I have two barrel saddles, one Billy Cook and another is an off brand that I use for my wider horse. As far as the skirt, I personally prefer round skirted. Not only does it look better, but it allows for movement in the hindquarter of the horse. For trees, that is really about your own personal preference.

dynamite. 11-02-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennessee (Post 447915)
I have two barrel saddles, one Billy Cook and another is an off brand that I use for my wider horse. As far as the skirt, I personally prefer round skirted. Not only does it look better, but it allows for movement in the hindquarter of the horse. For trees, that is really about your own personal preference.

Jw, what brand is the off brand saddle? I'm looking for a barrel saddle for my wide mare. Everything is either way expensive or too narrow.

MangoRoX87 11-02-2009 11:01 PM

http://www.willrogerssaddle.com/images/cactusfqb_1.jpg
This is my favorite. Its a Charmayne James

Kansasbarrelracer 11-02-2009 11:22 PM

my saddle is a montana saddlery barrel saddle. Its light oil, with acorn tooling. Lime green ostrich seat, and lime green cantle wrap with silver. Gorgeous saddle, and its very durable for an off brand.

I prefer square skirts, and prefer a saddle with full qtr horse bars.

Tennessee 11-02-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamite. (Post 447980)
Jw, what brand is the off brand saddle? I'm looking for a barrel saddle for my wide mare. Everything is either way expensive or too narrow.

Uhm...I believe it is called Circle W. A knock off of Circle Y, although they are about the same quality. I'm not sure where you could possibly find one of these, because I bought it off a friend.

BuckOff41570 11-03-2009 06:43 PM

I'm really picky on my barrel saddles. I ride in a Premier but they are no longer being made... so once my saddle goes to the great leather maker in the sky... I'll be looking into either a Triple Creek or a Pozzi-Pro.
I've considered one of the new Martins with the adjustable riggings but dont know that I like the seat for me personally. But I do know that the leather is of very high quality.

In all honesty, you should be picky on the saddle you purchase. If you have friends who compete, ask to try their saddle. Do you like it? Does it throw you forward? Backward?
In barrels you want a deep seat...not a saddle that's going to boost you up on your pelvis.

I personally prefer a half breed saddle. I like a cut out skirt because it allows more contact with the horse which allows clearer communication.
Medium oil to dark oil...depends on tooling.
Weight doesnt matter to me...just as long as it fits my horse and it fits me.

BuckOff41570 11-03-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyPrincess (Post 447631)
Actually, from my research, there isn't much difference in a barrel saddle, and a regular saddle. Some barrel saddles have round skirts, others have square skirts. When I start, I will just use my lightweight Wintec saddle. It has two girths, and is if not lighter, the same style as barrel saddles I have seen. I think they just do that so they get more money, but a lightweight Wintec saddle is no different than a barrel saddle.

That is true for the lower end barrel saddles.
That's why they are so inexpensive.
In reality, a good barrel saddle is VERY different from any other type of saddle.