The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sheath Cleaning?... what about wild horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sheath-cleaning-what-about-wild-horses-39558/)

cowgirl4jesus94 11-02-2009 01:51 PM

Sheath Cleaning?... what about wild horses?

So they say to clean the sheath every 6 months... but what about wild horses? Nobody cleans their sheath, and how many of them die from some sort of cancer because of it?
The only thing I can think of is that there are different chemicals and what not and feed that could cause a buildup? Not sure.. and does the actual sheath need to be cleaned or just the "bean"?

BaliDoll 11-02-2009 01:54 PM

This is *SO* funny cause I just thought about this yesterday.... lol i'm interested to see what people say!

sherie 11-02-2009 02:04 PM

wild quess

I think it may have to do with Stallion vs gelding

gypsygirl 11-02-2009 02:11 PM

i think it stays a lot cleaner if they are 'using it'

JustDressageIt 11-02-2009 02:12 PM

Wild horses don't get any treatment for anything, so they can and do die from disease, infection, etc.

Domesticated horses live a vastly different lifestyle than a wild horse. They are asked to work and get sweaty multiple times per week. They are confined to spaces much smaller than the areas wild horses roam. They get fed an artificial diet. They are kept on soft ground or dirt --- these are ALL perfect breeding grounds for smegma (junk) buildup in a horse's sheath.
Anyways, wild horses can't get cleaned, and so can suffer for it. But they also live in different conditions, so likely have a different pattern for buildup as well.

Quote:

i think it stays a lot cleaner if they are 'using it'
Yes and no... kinda. haha.

cowgirl4jesus94 11-02-2009 02:21 PM

So the entire thing should be cleaned every 6 months of just get rid of the 'bean'?

JustDressageIt 11-02-2009 02:25 PM

Depends on the horse. Some horses are naturally clean, but should get a clean yearly, some need it every month or so.
As a general rule, 6 months is a good timeframe.

Jillyann 11-02-2009 02:54 PM

This is a stupid question, I know.. but I havent ever owned a gelding, so thats why.. what is a bean?

BrokenWings 11-02-2009 05:31 PM

The "bean" is a waxy buildup for gunk that settles in his penis. If left unchecked, it can cause alight discomfort or extreme pain.
I clean my geldings every 6 months after a good workout. Use rubber gloves, LOTS of KY and warm water and get in there. it's gross but for their health, it needs to be done. if it grosses you out buy a nice natural sheath cleaner, spray it up in there and it will take care of itself (mostly, you'll still need to loosen stuff off for him!)
My vet told me horses in the wild "use it" so it helps flush them out a little, but it does not make them any less prone to diseases and such ;)

CloudsMystique 11-02-2009 06:54 PM

It depends on the horse. I have my vet check my gelding's sheath every time he does his teeth, and he's never had to have his cleaned.

Mares are also supposed to have their udders cleaned every six months or so, and my mare's are so dirty that I have to clean them at LEAST once a week.

Wild horses DO suffer from a lot of things that domestic horses don't have to worry about. But you really can't compare one to another... They're so different. Wild horses don't even have to have their feet trimmed or their teeth floated. They're just much hardier.