The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Would my horse make a good hunter/jumper? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/would-my-horse-make-good-hunter-39603/)

MangoRoX87 11-02-2009 10:29 PM

Would my horse make a good hunter/jumper?

2 Attachment(s)
My horse Dream is an appendix quarter horse. She has a pretty sweeping trot. She looks really nice in my english saddle:P I have been doing western pleasure with her, but she really isn't into that. I have been told by a lot of people that she has a really nice hunter trot. Now, I haven't taken english lessons in a while, but I plan to when spring starts up. I ride her in a correction bit. I have jumped her a few times over a jump around 2' or so, and she never once showed that she didn't want to. What do you think of my horses conformation? Could she make a good hunter or jumper (and whats the difference? lol thanks). :D And sorry that I couldn't get a better picture of her trotting instead of when she was hyper:P

sillybunny11486 11-02-2009 10:39 PM

dont really have a good conformation trot. but shes very cute. shes got nice hock action in the second photo.

MangoRoX87 11-02-2009 10:40 PM

She has her neck all ugly and stuck up over the fence (yes I know its broken), and she just looks off becuase she was hyper. They don't do her justice:P

WelcomeStranger28 11-02-2009 10:51 PM

i think she would have a nice jump, but i am not too sure!! she looks like she would be nice for dressage!!! she is a gorgeous horse i will give her that!!

Saskia 11-02-2009 11:48 PM

Hunter classes are based on you and your horse and what you look like while doing the course, while conforming to the general hunter type. I'm sure you can find heaps of information on it (i'm in Australia where there is hardly any hunter things). Its basically just like showing but with a different ideal.

Show jumping, or jumping or whatever you call it is based purely on times and penalties. Your horse could have the worst conformation in the world and it wouldn't really matter if they could jump really well. Its based on if you get a clear round, and the judges don't really have much of a say.

I don't see why your horse couldn't be a good jumper, I guess you have to work with it and see what happens.

I don't know if she is really the hunter type, which seem to be larger and heavier. Still give it all a go, you'll find out quickly what you are good at and what you are not.

WelcomeStranger28 11-02-2009 11:54 PM

Over here when we say hunter, we think of Jumping and cross Country, we have hunter trails and we copmete in the Show Jumping and Cross Country.

MangoRoX87 11-03-2009 07:46 AM

Yeah she does look kinda small..she is around 16 hands and very fat lol..
thanks for your guys help!

gypsygirl 11-03-2009 08:54 AM

i think shes really cute & you could do anything you want with her

MIEventer 11-03-2009 09:35 AM

I don't get why people say "Appendix Quarterhorse"? LOL - of course there is QH is the breeding, that is what makes it Appendix, that and the 1/2 TB.

Anyways, she is very pretty, I love dapple grey's. Of course she can jump, any breed of horse can jump at lower levels. It is when you get to mid levels where conformation plays a huge factor in how far the horse can go, and due to that, the horses start to get weeded out from those who do not have the conformation.

But, what makes an excellant Jumper? Dressage. If the horse has the conformation *majority do* to do low levels, than the rider shoud be focusing on Dressage.

Did you know that GP Level Jumpers are trained minimally to level 3 dressage? Did you know that GP Riders spend up to 5 days a week doing only Dressage and jump once a week?

Because Dressage is what gives the horse and rider that edge to beable to manuver through the fences, the tight turns, get the rhythm and tempo, strides, light, soft, and supple - to get the job done.

I am not a conformation guru - but I do know that correct training is what makes a fabulous jumper.

It is one thing to jump a fence, but it is another to do it educatedly.

Remember, Jumping is Dressage with speed bumps.

I am absolutely sure she can do low levels, now it is up to you do put the correct training in the both of you, do represent your sport efficiently :) :)

Have a great time.

bubblegum 11-03-2009 10:06 AM

jumping would suit her, she looks like a hunter i know over here