The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Swimming With Horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/swimming-horses-39613/)

Gidji 11-03-2009 05:00 AM

Swimming With Horses?

Ok, well today I rode Nessie,a friend's mare who's thrown me off about four times. I rode her bareback;well bareback with a pad, cause she's got a really high wither. And she did well. A little bit rushed, but she did ok. She had one little play rear at a twig that fell off a tree but I stayed on and was ok.
So my question is, would it be safe to her her into the creek we ride to?
My friend does, but I'm nervous she'll roll or hit me? LOL. Cause she splashes in the water with her front feet.
Also, my friend rides her warmblood in there, but the mare is a bit touchy and tends to nip and do little kicks at other horses if they get too close on the ground. Would she do that in the water?
And yes, I would be riding her in the water in swimmers and boardshorts. Or would it be better to just get my joddies wet?
Thanks a bunch, and if you need me to make what I just said clearer just ask!

apache 11-03-2009 08:13 AM

Hi i always take my horses in the sea it all started when i couldnt get storm anywhere near a hose when i was backing him, i didnt wont to force the hose on him so decided to take him in the tide. after a few shakey stops he slowly let the water wash over his legs after a few seconds his ears were forward he was licking and chewing and slowly i walk him out further, he loved it! in no time we were swimming its an amazing feeling. Storm is now 8yrs and we still swim regularly and he never did take to the hose! My old tb mare however never really took to it she would go out so far (after i convinced her their were no tigers, sharks and anything else) she would then stand still and splash and splash, so horses r like people some like to swim some dont. If you do decide to take your horse swimming i would do it with a placid horse, that will not show bad manners or spoil the experience for you both. As for falling off, its alot softer landing than hitting the floor! Hope this has been a help and happy splashing!:D

Alicia 11-03-2009 11:53 AM

I've ridden a lot in lakes and such. I think it would be safe for her to go into the water, if she tries to roll just get her moving. As for the kicking an biting other horses when they are close, I believe she would still do this in the water. With the decision as to what to wear - wear whatever you want, but if her back gets wet, she may be a little slippery.

Britt 11-03-2009 08:29 PM

I've ridden in creeks, lakes, and stuff a lot... I go swimming with my mare and gelding in summer every year... it's a lot of fun, my girl loves to splash with her front hooves, and so does my gelding. It's awesome...

I was on our old gelding once in a lake and he decided to roll in the water... I just jumped off and let him roll, then jumped back on him when he got up. It's never happened since.

I usually swim with my horses wearing a tank top and jeans, then ride around until we're both dry.

Gidji 11-04-2009 12:31 AM

Thanks guys, but I guess my main concern now is falling off? Those splashing hooves seem pretty ominous to me if I was to fall off.