The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   Windows 7? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/windows-7-a-39646/)

RubaiyateBandit 11-03-2009 04:37 PM

Windows 7?

Has anyone gotten a chance to try out the new Windows 7 yet? Is it standing up to all the hype? Has anyone gotten to try it out on a tablet PC?

Normally, I refuse to buy a new OS until a few service packs have been released... but I have Vista on my laptop now, and though I love my tablet dearly, I want Vista gone as soon as possible... it's either upgrade to 7, or downgrade to XP Tablet.
It meets and exceeds Win7's requirements, so I'm not concerned with compatibility issues:
HP Pavilion tx2500 Tablet PC:
  • AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86 2.4GHz processor
  • 3GB DDR2 RAM
  • 160GB hard drive
  • Mobility Radeon HD 3200 IGP

ilovemyPhillip 11-03-2009 04:39 PM

Get Windows 7! I've had it on my laptop for a little while now, and it's the easiest thing I've had to work with! It does take a little white to gt used to, but it's a HECK of a lot better then Vista! Loads faster too.

RubaiyateBandit 11-03-2009 05:12 PM

My only drawback is... I'm still rather attached to my XP. I have XP Pro on my new desktop, and I went through hell and highwater to get that; my other desktop was never upgraded from XP. Right now, the only computer in the house that would be upgraded would be the laptop, *maybe* the older desktop (I refuse to take XP off the new desktop; it runs perfect as is). XP Tablet is helluva impossible to find anymore, or else I would've had it on my laptop a long time ago.
The thing I wonder about Win7 is... would I still be able to use some of my WinXP programs? That was issue number one with Vista -- I can't use any of the printers from my laptop (over the network) because Vista wouldn't support them, and a lot of my programs were glitchy and crashed a lot under Vista.
And I do a lot of working with different languages (primarily East Asian), and for whatever reason, Vista just seems perpetually opposed to properly typing out a sentence in anything outside of the Roman languages.

RegalCharm 11-03-2009 08:09 PM

Keep the XP, from what I have read about Windows7
it is better than Vista, but not worth spending the money
to upgrade to it.

Upgrading to IE8 might be a better choise. (that is the new browser)

RubaiyateBandit 11-04-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegalCharm (Post 449282)
Keep the XP, from what I have read about Windows7
it is better than Vista, but not worth spending the money
to upgrade to it.

Upgrading to IE8 might be a better choise. (that is the new browser)

Heh, but I just found today that I can get a full Win7 install for free through my school, so it's not really a matter of money.
I am curious, however... what exactly have you read of Win7?

Ha, I've actually heard all sorts of nasty issues going on with IE8... security issues, glitches like crazy, and problems holding up to heavy usage. I can't say I paid it much mind either way, though... I'm a die-hard FireFox user. :-P

Mrs B 11-04-2009 03:24 AM

I'm not really a fan of IE8. It does tend to freeze up when you have too many windows open, and after a while, that's just not something I want to deal with. Windows 7 though is great. It lets you compare different open windows with each other by just clicking and dragging them to the sides, and they automatically resize for you. The bar at the bottom lets you pin your most used programs for easy access. There are a lot of neat features.

jinxremoving 11-04-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 449653)
I'm not really a fan of IE8. It does tend to freeze up when you have too many windows open, and after a while, that's just not something I want to deal with.

You could and should switch to FireFox.

The main reason being that FireFox is inherently more secure then IE since it isn't tied into the OS as intimately as IE is. There have been thousands of exploits over the years for IE, some of which have been executed by simply visiting a website and while FireFox isn't immune to security flaws, they are not as common and definitly get patches out much quicker. (Microsoft follows a patch schedule, so if a security flaw is found in IE on a Wednesday, they will not release a patch until the following Tuesday.)

With regards to Windows 7, it's pretty much everything Vista should have been. I've been using XP since it was a beta many years ago, tried Vista for about a month and realized it was utter pure garbage and removed it - swore I would never leave XP again! However, I gave Windows 7 a shot the other week and so far I'm extremely impressed. There are noticeable speed improvements, an intuitive user interface and all the minor quirks I hated about Vista are gone or can be easily removed.

Windows 7 does have good compatibility with Windows XP programs, I haven't found anything that wouldn't run. There is also a compatibility option, so you can run programs as if you were running XP. Another good feature about Windows 7 is that it has excellent tablet support, vastly improved over Vista, improved handwriting recognition and what not. Windows 7 also makes connecting to network devices much more user friendly than Vista, so I would be surprised if you had difficulty connecting to your network printer.

Just a word of caution though, you will likely have to do a clean install of Windows 7, meaning you will lose all data on your hard drive. If that isn't an option, connect an external hard drive and copy everything over then proceed with the installation. I think Windows 7 is worth the upgrade over XP and definitely without a doubt, not as aggravating and useless as Vista has been to so many people.

Jehanzeb 11-05-2009 06:40 AM

hmm it sounds like you answered your own question :D. It seems you have done your home work (research on OS) pretty well :D.

Regards

WSArabians 11-08-2009 11:29 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but unlike most people, I happen to love my Vista laptop! LOL

Don't get Firefox. It sucks.