The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Update on Joe (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/update-joe-39686/)

Mom2ThreeGyrls 11-03-2009 08:52 PM

Update on Joe

1 Attachment(s)
Joe, the rescue, has been on his Glucosamine injections (one a week) for 2 weeks. He is not taking any other joint supplement at this time. We can tell a difference about 2 days after his injection and it lasts for 2-3 days. He has actually kicked up a bit playing with Hootie and does a LITTLE trotting.
I believe we need to add an additional supplement that includes MSM, HA, etc. but finding one I can afford AND that actually works along with the injections is going to be the key.
This guy is amazing. He has the kindest heart and it kills me to know what he's been though. You can see in the picture with my girls that he loves attention and he sure gets a lot of it.
I hope we can gain him more relief with the addition of some added supplements and a bit more shoe work. I also think that if I can get a chiropractor out here he could gain some relief. He holds that leg up so much I'm sure his hocks bother him. We'll see.

Ryle 11-03-2009 09:00 PM

That's great! Consider adding an oral glucosamine and chondroitin supplement along with the injections.

WelcomeStranger28 11-03-2009 09:06 PM

he is cute!!!

Mom2ThreeGyrls 11-03-2009 11:10 PM

Thanks!

Of course, he could have looked like the "HunchHorse from Notre Dame" and we wouldn't have cared! He was getting the hell out of that situation. LOL But, we had a bonus because this is the type of horse you walk up to and actually FEEL how kind he is. He radiates an energy that draws you in. Something I can't well explain, I guess.
Even as much as he's been through, he allowed us tonight with nothing but me holding his halter to remove 6 stitches less than an inch from his eye. He shouldn't have trusted us from the things he's been through but he did.

sillybunny11486 11-03-2009 11:15 PM

very sweet. try smartpackequine.com they give you a cost to quantity of ingredients comparison for every class of supplements. i check out all their comparison charts, but usually shop around for better prices, but thier shipping is only 7.95 for anything.

Mom2ThreeGyrls 11-03-2009 11:36 PM

Can he get too much glucosamine?

If I add the SmartFlex Repair supplement (or most other joint combo supplement) it comes with glucosamine in it AND he takes 10 ml once a week IM too. Can he have too much or will it just flush out?

sillybunny11486 11-03-2009 11:39 PM

im not sure that there is a proven maximum amount of glucosamine a horse can absorbe. i mean, i dont think anyone really knows how much is too much. its a relatively new kind of supplement. just about every joint product has a base of glucosamine. have you talked to the vet about it?

Mom2ThreeGyrls 11-03-2009 11:47 PM

Vet

Yes, and he would like him on another all around supplement and not just the Gluc IM BUT I have not spoken with him on which supplement we would like to try. The one he mentioned was $100 a month but we just can't afford that.
I'll probably give him a call tomorrow and ask him if it's ok to add this SmartFlex Repair. It sounds like a great product and it sells for $59 for pellet form. That's 28 doses. Not TOO bad. :?
If he gives me the thumbs up, I think we'll give it a month or two on it and see if he improves even more.

sillybunny11486 11-03-2009 11:55 PM

my mare gets a plain glucosamine sulfate 4000mg a day, for about $30 a month. to me $58 is a little expensive, soo is 100. but i guess it depends on maintenance vs repair.

Ryle 11-04-2009 09:37 AM

The AAEP did a study and found that the rate of Glucosamine supplementation that actually showed improvement in lameness was 10,000g per day so you need to get him on a daily supplement that has high levels.