The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   HELP, JUST GOT NEW YEARLING NEED ADVICE (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-just-got-new-yearling-need-3973/)

cory-boy 10-23-2007 12:36 AM

HELP, JUST GOT NEW YEARLING NEED ADVICE

I JUST PURCHASED A 1 1/2 YEAR OLD. SHE HAS NEVER BEEN IN A TRAILER, I HAVE A TWO HORSE BUMPER PULL WITH A TACK ROOM IN FRONT. I GUESS I'M JUST CONCERNED ABOUT STRESSING HER OUT TOO MUCH, OR SOMETHING HAPPEN. MAYBE I'M JUST A WORRIED MOMMY. WE HAVE TO TRAVEL ABOUT AN HOUR AWAY. ANY ADVICE. TO KEEP HER CALM AND NOT TOO STRESSED AND ME TOO. : :?

Frog 10-23-2007 01:10 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, youngsters travel quite well usually unles they have already had a scare.

If you are worried, you could try a mild sedative (for the horse) to take the edge off.

When I travel young foals I usually pack the front of my flaot up with a cpouple of bales of hay, just so if they rear up over the chest bar then they can't hurt themselves by getting stuck, but I think a yearling should be big enough not to worry about that.

Just take it easy when you drive so that she can find her feet and you shouldn't have too much trouble and remember to breathe :wink:

kitten_Val 10-23-2007 06:41 AM

My both youngsters (were 20 months old) were delivered to me with no prior experience in loading and trailering (2 hours travel time). Both did great, Second one was extremely quiet. First one was able to untie the lead rope and was extremely mad when we unloaded her, however she's always mad when she doesn't like something (too much attitude). I'm sure she'll be OK traveling. You may have more problems loading her in though if she had no experience with it (especially in 2 horse trailer).

Vidaloco 10-23-2007 08:21 AM

Are you going alone or is someone going with you? It helps to have a second pair of eyes and ears when hauling a new horse. I sold a 2 year old this last spring that I had to deliver (only 20 miles). I rode in the trailer with her for the first couple of miles to make sure she was ok. I had already gotten her used to loading so that was easy and had started moving the trailer with her in it, thats the hard part. I think I was more worried than she was :? As frog said drive easy and BREATH :lol:

cory-boy 10-23-2007 09:33 AM

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVICE. THE PEOPLE I AM BUYING HER FROM HAS TAKEN VERY GOOD CARE OF HER AND HAS DONE A WONDERFULL JOB ON GROUND WORK AND CONFIDENCE. MY HUSBAND WILL BE GOING WITH ME ALSO. I WILL LET YA KNOW HOW THE TRIP GOES. THANK YOU SOO MUCH. :lol:

cory-boy 10-29-2007 11:33 PM

HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO LET YA KNOW THE TRAILER THING WENT OKAY IN THE BEGINNING, THEN THE GUY I GOT HER FROM LEFT THE ACCESS DOOR OPEN ON HER SIDE AND SHE WAS ABLE TO HIT THE CLASP ON THE TRAILER AND TRY TO JUMP OUT THE DOOR. WE IMMEDITLY LIFTED HER BACK INTO TRAILER BUT I AM VERY UPSET CUZ SHE GOT HURT PRETTY BAD, THE VET WAS OUT AND SHE GOT CUT TO THE BONE, HE SAID HE COULD FEEL IT WAS NOT TOTAL SMOOTH BUT IT MAY BE OKAY, SHE'S ON MEDICINE AND HE'LL BE BACK I GUESS I WILLHAVE TO WATCH FOR STUFF OOZING ???? IF HE WILL NEED TO GO IN AND OPERATE ON THE NEED I GUESS LIKE FILE THE BONE AND TAKE X-RAYS. HAS ANY ONE HAD A HORSE HURT THAT BAD? I FEEL FOR HER AND IT BREAKS MY HEART TO SEE HER WALKING, I WOULD POST A PICTURE BUT I HAVE NOT FIGUIED THAT OUT YET. THANK YOU AGIAN GUYS. WE HAD SOMEONE IN THE TRAILER WITH HER ALL THE WAY HOME INCASE SHE NEEDED SOMETHING

Vidaloco 10-30-2007 06:56 AM

Oh no! thats awful. How agonizing for you, and the poor filly. The one I described above had a trailer injury from rearing up over the hay manger but not as bad as yours, just a good cut not to the bone. She is young and they heal pretty well so hope for the best. I have heard of them trying to come out the access door but never had one do it. I bet you cussed the fellow who left it open! Guess its better she did it then rather than while going down the road :roll: Add some pictures when you work it out.

kitten_Val 10-30-2007 07:18 AM

That's horrible! Did he do the x-ray to say for sure? She's very young, which makes her recover quickly.

cory-boy 10-30-2007 08:51 PM

the vet did not do x-rays as of now he just felt in the wound and found the bone has little burs on it, he's not sure if this will affect her, will now more next week once she is off antibiotics. i just hope everything will be okay. :cry:

cory-boy 10-30-2007 08:59 PM

my silly filly went up into hay manger too but came out without a problem. after being on her meds for 24hrs now she is getting better or at least she thinks so, i tryed to leave her alone today but after two hours she was caught playing with other horse, one on each side of fence and her bandage came off. i dont have a barn yet with stalls just a seperate pasture area with shelter, so i have to get cory to not play . yeah right. she's tough i think a little time we'll be okay. im just not sure what percent of horses end up having surgery for a roughed up bone. it is always the case or some really don't need the surgery