The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Need some encouragement (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/need-some-encouragement-39784/)

mftowner06 11-04-2009 10:40 PM

Need some encouragement

Background: I started him under saddle the last weekend of August, rode him pretty consisently. But with weather and me being sick for 6 weeks I couldn't ride him like I wanted to do. He's a very laid back, doesn't spook at much, took to the saddle with no problems didn't buck nothing. I always do ground work with him before getting on him though I'm sure it would be fine if I just saddled him and just got on.

Ok so I'm trying to teach him that squeeze with my calves means to walk or go forward if he doesn't his 2nd chance is for me to kiss to him and his 3rd chance to respond is to spank. I have done some ground driving with him so he knows what 'walk' means and he knows what the kiss sound means. So when I take that to the saddle - I squeeze with my calves if he so much as moves a muscle in the forward movement I praise him and release all pressure, I squeeze again and if he walks forward I release the pressure and praise. But I can't get him to walk successfully in a straight line, he's all over the place, and he does stay moving forward for very long either. On his right turns he does good but on his left turns he will turn his head at the same time raises head and walks forward, I have to really use my left leg at the girth to get him to walk into the turn.

So I need help and lots of it! Any suggestions on how to get him to walk and walk until I tell him to whoa, how to get him to do a left turn.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Brandi
Train, Don't Complain
www.obediencetrainingclubofbartlesville.com

sillybunny11486 11-06-2009 11:15 AM

maybe post a video. hes been under saddle two months? im guessing your not a pro, so it will probably take you a little longer. just be patient and keep up with the positive reinforcement.

Macslady 11-06-2009 07:03 PM

Try ground driving for a bit, then saddle up and give the same commands so he grasps what you want. You might have someone help by staying toward his rear as in lunging to help give him the idea you want him to move forward. When he does lavish with praise.

It just takes time and patience.