The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Found the buck today. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/found-buck-today-39796/)

kevinshorses 11-05-2009 12:10 AM

Found the buck today.

I have been training a 6 year old paint stallion that had not had much done with him untill I started him. He had been going pretty good but today when I got on him I knew he was feeling broncy. I rode him around and kept him bent so he couldn't get straight to buck. He made a couple of tries but I got him shut down. when I thought he was relaxed and in a little better frame of mind I tried to get him to trot. This horse has never had much "go" so I've been working on getting a good relaxed trot. I had him trotting for about two minutes when his head fell off and I didn't get him bent in time. I rode him pretty good for a number of jumps then he stopped and made a 180 and a couple of big jumps and that was the end of my bronc ride. Tomorrow I am going to try laying him down. This has worked well for me in the past and hopefully it will help this time because I am a lousy bronc rider. Have any of you layed down a horse and what difference did it make?

Incidently, anybody know something that will make at least one broken rib feel better.

riccil0ve 11-05-2009 12:25 AM

I might have advice if I knew what "laying him down" meant, haha.

Sorry you couldn't stick it out though, I HATE being thrown. It just pisses me off, haha. As for the rib, try not to laugh?

smrobs 11-05-2009 06:24 AM

I have never layed a horse down (not on purpose anyway) so I don't know if it helps or not. I hope it goes well and adjusts his attitude :D. As for the broken rib? The handyman's secret weapon..............................duct-tape. LOL.

rocky pony 11-05-2009 07:15 AM

I've heard nothing but negative things about laying down horses..but I don't have specifics, unfortunately

kitten_Val 11-05-2009 08:03 AM

I always thought laying down is done only to show the dominance (since you can touch the horse all over). But I've never heard it helps with bucking. I've seen local trainer doing that, but didn't find it all that impressive (the owner was bucked off again after that).

How does he do on lunge? May be lunging off the energy will help you on that? As for ribs stay relaxed in the bed is the best way to go. :lol:

RiosDad 11-05-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 450696)
Incidently, anybody know something that will make at least one broken rib feel better.

If you truely broke a rib you will be sore for a long long time. they just tape ribs but just getting out of bed can be a chore. Riding a bronc horse is out of the question for a while.

I have never heard of laying a horse down. Sure we lay them down to geld but I would like to read more about how and what this does.

GottaRide 11-05-2009 09:32 AM

Are you going to be laying him down with your broken rib? OUCH!

Would you proceed with the lay down tomorrow if the horse shows compliance & no indication of bad behavior? I'm just asking because I'm curious. I know of a pony gelding that gives his young rider trouble (bucking, rearing) on occasion, but it's never consistent. I think a way to address the problem is to lay him down, but I didn't think it would be effective if it was done when he wasn't misbehaving. I've never laid a horse down so I found a trainer nearby that can do it for this pony if necessary.

EveningShadows 11-05-2009 09:33 AM

My mom had a welsh pony stallion that took up a knack for rearing. After attempting to settle him in other ways for about 3 weeks I was out on the gravel road for a ride and up he went...highest I remember him going and he was only 13hh so I just stepped off and pulled him over. That was his last rear. I don't think it's necessary for every horse, but I think it can do wonders for the right horse if done correctly.

iridehorses 11-05-2009 09:39 AM

I was watching Clinton Anderson on RFD during lunch last week and he was showing that technique on his horse, Cider. He did it in a very gentle, non-stressful way and claimed that he uses that method at times with a difficult horse (Cider was not difficult, she was just available during his hobbling lesson).

I would not have a problem performing the technique if need be.

mls 11-05-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 450854)
I always thought laying down is done only to show the dominance (since you can touch the horse all over). But I've never heard it helps with bucking. I've seen local trainer doing that, but didn't find it all that impressive (the owner was bucked off again after that).

How does he do on lunge? May be lunging off the energy will help you on that? As for ribs stay relaxed in the bed is the best way to go. :lol:

I also do not understand how laying a horse down will stop the bucking.

It sounds like he was warning you and you didn't listen.