The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Strangles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/strangles-39807/)

iridehorses 11-05-2009 08:23 AM

Strangles

I brought in a horse 2 weeks ago and missed the early signs. He had a lot of mucus and on the second day sneezed a "gallon" of snot on my jeans - LOL! I thought it was just a cold. On Tuesday I noticed a large knot under his jaw - still didn't think of Strangles until yesterday when the abscess broke open and the poor guy now has a bloody, pus draining mess under his jaw.

Fortunately Hollywood has had his vaccination against Strangles and the older pony is just that - older. The one at risk is the 3 year old pony gelding. There's no point in separating them at this point.

Just a warning to those bringing in new horses - watch them carefully and segregate them if possible for 2 weeks.

LoveStory10 11-05-2009 09:27 AM

Thanx!!!!

mls 11-05-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 450891)
Just a warning to those bringing in new horses - watch them carefully and segregate them if possible for 2 weeks.

We always quarantine new horses for a minimum of one week. During quarantine they are not allowed in the common areas when another horse is in there (indoor arena, etc). However if the horse has ANY discharge - the vet is called. I will not risk the herd for the sake of one horse.

bubblegum 11-05-2009 09:30 AM

best of luck with him hope he feels better soon

Crimsonhorse01 11-05-2009 09:32 AM

Ack that stinks. Luckily I never got it after bringing a horse in. Hope it clears up soon, without spreading.

Alwaysbehind 11-05-2009 09:36 AM

Yes, proper quarantine is extra important if you get a new horse from some place like an auction.

Great reminder!

Hope your horse is feeling better quickly.

farmpony84 11-05-2009 09:58 AM

well... the good thing is....most horses who have had strangles will develope an immunity to it......

iridehorses 11-05-2009 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone.

The horse I brought in, I've had here before. He belongs to a dealer friend of mine and I take in one horse at a time to condition and ride or to just layoff for a bit. He must have caught it from a horse that she brought in and came into contact with the one I have. She is normally very careful but stuff happens.

Alwaysbehind 11-05-2009 10:25 AM

Even the most careful people can get caught by Strangles.

sillybunny11486 11-05-2009 10:36 AM

you should quarentine a horse for 60-90days. correct me if im wrong but i think horses exposed to strangles may not show signs for up to a month. a week or two isnt going to diddly, sometimes it takes more than that for horses to show signs of being sick.