The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Venting about bad trainers! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/venting-about-bad-trainers-39829/)

coelh102 11-05-2009 01:17 PM

Venting about bad trainers!

So I FINALLY got in contact with my horse's old owner to get more information on him and was quite surprised (sarcasm here!!) to find out my horse went to a trainer who ABUSED him!!! He left him tacked up in a stall for days at a time with no food or water and whipped him into submission while in cross-ties until the horse was on the ground basically hanging and sweating and all sorts of upset!!!! How can someone do this?!?! Your a TRAINER!!! Your making that horse for the rest of his life!!! Apparently he was very harsh with the bit and now is going to have to use a side-pull because he was traumatized! This horse is so sweet, how can he do that to him!? If I ever find out who this is I will probably end up in prison for murder!! :twisted: I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THIS!!!!! You don't BEAT a horse into submission!! It's a 1000lb animal that could KILL you if he wanted to, but does he?! No! They have more heart than most people!! My poor baby!:-(

So now my horse hates stalls, cross-ties, bits, and whips... All of which could have been avoided and all of which are used ALOT! I partially blame the owner too because how can you NOT see what's happening, you don't have to be a pro to see your horse isn't being treated well, did she not EVER go to see him while at training?! First of all I wouldn't let my horse go to just anyone, or not go and see him on a daily basis, OR not want to watch a session or two to see the progress! I mean he was with this awful trainer for 30 days, what did the old owner do in this time? Sit on her butt in her house wondering how her horse is doing?! COME ON GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!:evil:

Alwaysbehind 11-05-2009 01:20 PM

If the horse went with out water for days at a time then it would be dead.

There are bad trainers out there for sure.

Did the old owner really admit they sent the horse to a bad trainer and left it there?

coelh102 11-05-2009 01:24 PM

No she didn't come out and say that she left the horse there but I'm assuming so because she doesn't have a place to train him at her place. By the sounds of it she let the trainer take him because wouldn't she feed and water him then? I know I would. I'm not sure how many 'days' means to her, could be a day or maybe two with no water but it could be more than that. I have him now and he was about 75lbs or more underweight.

lexxwolfen 11-05-2009 01:26 PM

My coach recently went to purchase a few new horses for her school and ended up purchasing 11, 3 of which were pregnant and due in less than a month. It was a massive rescue mission. When she went to see the horses, one pony was tied in a standing stall with 18 inches of rope. That's where it lived. We first thought it was a gelding because the teats had stuck together from the filth she was living in. Also, when the owner went to seperate the mothers from babies... out came the whip. Paddocks were knee high in **** and it was just horrible.

Luckily she bought them all, and now most have good homes with new owners if not at her own barn.

Bad trainers, bad owners... there sure isn't any shortage of horrible people on this planet. :(

Just be happy that he no longer will be abused and is safe with you.

Speed Racer 11-05-2009 01:42 PM

Um, so how do you know all of this happened, if the horse's former owner never came out and told you she even left the horse with this trainer?

I'm confused, truly. :?:

RiosDad 11-05-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 451216)
Um, so how do you know all of this happened, if the horse's former owner never came out and told you she even left the horse with this trainer?

I'm confused, truly. :?:

That was my first thought?? How do you know this and if so bring charges?

kevinshorses 11-05-2009 02:06 PM

Just because a horse has been abused doesn't mean that it can't get over those things. A horse should learn to take a bit and stand in cross ties and not be frightened of a whip. In fact it is almost abuse to not get him over it.

mls 11-05-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coelh102 (Post 451196)
No she didn't come out and say that she left the horse there but I'm assuming so because she doesn't have a place to train him at her place. By the sounds of it she let the trainer take him because wouldn't she feed and water him then? I know I would. I'm not sure how many 'days' means to her, could be a day or maybe two with no water but it could be more than that. I have him now and he was about 75lbs or more underweight.

Assumptions can be very bad things. At this point it is hearsay and not factual information. A lot of horses don't like the things you mentioned. Does not mean in any way, shape or form they were abused.

75 pounds underweight? On a horse that can be a simple lack of muscle definition and weight distribution. Many horses can appear underweight - esp over the topline - when they are wormy and have support on their abdomen.

coelh102 11-05-2009 03:39 PM

This is the message she sent me when I got ahold of her and asked her about glyder's training...

"yeah about glider do not put him in X-ties he will flip him self he hates being tack up in the barn and when i first got him untill i got rid of him he would rear up and flip him self every time i girthed him.........he does not ride in a bit he hates it ride him in a side pull thats what i used.......glider was very badly abused by the trainer and he was never right after that they flipped him concert beat him with whips soo thats another thing he dont like they left him stalled for days with all his tack on and did not feed him they were horrible to him i think thats why he hates the bit but he is a kicker and has kicked me in the stomach if he dont want to do something and you like smack him the butt you know like shoo him away or something he will kick but anything else you would like to know just ask oo did they give you his papers??"

That's the exact message she sent me and there was others along with it but that's the main one about the training. I also mentioned how he had a severe case of rain rot and she had no clue he had it, and I know that doesn't show up over night, at least not to the extent that glyder has it.

coelh102 11-05-2009 03:44 PM

Here is another message she sent me about him....

"well iam not really sure my freind had him before and i guess he was ok then but when her aunt sent him to the trainers thats when he got messed up like 3 months befor he came to me he was in a rehabilitation center for horses b/c he was soo mean when my friend came and seen him after years of not seeing him she could not belive it was him b/c the last time she saw him when he came back and he was soo mean you could not go near him"

so thats why i'm assuming they sent him away to the trainers instead of having the trainer go to their place. But wouldn't you go visit your horse while he's there? I know I would