The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Getting into shape (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/getting-into-shape-39852/)

jemulchia 11-05-2009 04:27 PM

Getting into shape

So, after this winter I am going to start doing a exercise program with my horse. Probably 4-5 days a week to get him fit in general but mostly to get him ready to jump and show.

Does anyone have any tips on exercises that I can do to help? Also what kind of feeding program should I go on? I was thinking of putting him on some supplements and grain but what kinds?

Lis 11-05-2009 05:39 PM

Hill work is probably one of the best things you can do with a horse even if there is only one hill in you can ride just keep going up and down it. It will build up muscle and stamina. As for feed it depends on how much work he's doing and how much he's already getting.

kchfuller 11-05-2009 06:32 PM

what does he get fed right now?

how much work is he in?

does he hold his weight ok?

jemulchia 11-05-2009 06:43 PM

All he gets now is hay, and he is rarely ridden because I've been sick and where he stays is way to far out there for me. Only way out there for me is with my mother and her and I rarely get along. I'm moving him in march probably

kchfuller 11-05-2009 07:27 PM

what kind of hay?

how much?

does he hold weight well?

jemulchia 11-05-2009 08:02 PM

Grass and alfalfa

Gets about half a bale, he can go through it preee quick
and Yeah he can hold is weight pretty good

kchfuller 11-06-2009 12:30 PM

So here is what i suggest:

Get him back into work slowly- lots of trotting and walking up hills will help muscle him up. I don't have hills so personally I do a lot of trotting to build muscle.

As for the feed work him for about 2 weeks and then evaluate him... if he looses weight before 2 weeks is up them obviously please feed him more.

My mare when she wasn't getting worked got 1 big flake of grass in the am and 2 at night... now that she is ridden competitively she gets 2 grass in the am and 1 grass and 1 alfalfa in the pm... she also gets 2.5-3 quarts of Purina Strategy (with flax seed and smart tendon) at night after I ride.

My gelding gets a big flake of alfalfa in the am and if he isn't worked at night he gets either alfalfa or grass and if he is worked he gets a flake of both. He also gets 3 quarts of Strategy (with flax seed and Select 2).

You will have to find what works best for your horse. I would highly recommend that you DON'T give sweet feed or grain. That won't help much. I personally like Strategy(Purina Mills Strategy® Professional Formula GX) or the LMF products (Welcome to a LMF Feeds) .. but do your research and see what you think is best for your horse :D

Let me know if you have more questions.

Void 11-06-2009 01:26 PM

I give my horse grain everyday he works, I feed him 1 scoop of equine senior. It's awesome because it doesn't make him hot but it gives him the calories he needs.

My horse is kind of a freight train so we cycle between hours of turnout and riding, every other day. Jumping 2x a week, different courses, tests and gymnastics. We hack out most days, lots of suppling exercises that I learned when I rode dressage eon's ago haha, hill work, collection work and working on the buckle. You need to keep things varied and interesting so the horse stays attentive and doesn't get bored.