The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Does Anyone Have Any Advice On Making My Own Rope Halter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/does-anyone-have-any-advice-making-39871/)

Angelhorsegirl 11-05-2009 07:41 PM

Does Anyone Have Any Advice On Making My Own Rope Halter?

I've been thinking about making my own rope halter, but Google doesn't seem to be of much help. Has anyone made one and have instructions for doing so? Please keep it simple, thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to seeing my horse utilize something I created with my own two hands. Ah, it would be such a rewarding experience, don't you think?
Lauren

Wallaby 11-05-2009 07:51 PM

These are the instructions I used when I first started making halters (now I don't need instructions anymore, haha)
Horse Halter | Make Horse Rope Halter

I found the first way to be difficult to understand but IMO the second way is way easier. Instead of the Fiador knot I just tie a loop knot and it works just as well. =) Good luck!

Angelhorsegirl 11-05-2009 07:56 PM

Wallaby,
Would you feel up to possibly making me some kind of electric-colored rope halter? If you are feeling really generous?
Lauren

NorthernMama 11-05-2009 10:05 PM

Oh geeze... I tried and tried and tried to make my own rope halter. Mostly because I couldn't find one that fit my girl well enough. After about a dozen tries I gave up. Kudos to anyone that can make those suckers work. Course I wanted the fiador knot also, so that didn't make it any easier.

The rope is now in my boat.

Wallaby 11-05-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelhorsegirl (Post 451675)
Wallaby,
Would you feel up to possibly making me some kind of electric-colored rope halter? If you are feeling really generous?
Lauren

I can try... I'll pm you now. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 451842)
Oh geeze... I tried and tried and tried to make my own rope halter. Mostly because I couldn't find one that fit my girl well enough. After about a dozen tries I gave up. Kudos to anyone that can make those suckers work. Course I wanted the fiador knot also, so that didn't make it any easier.

The rope is now in my boat.

Yeah, the fiador knot is super hard. I'm in awe of anyone who can make it. haha

sillybunny11486 11-05-2009 10:26 PM

took me 3-4 tries. i got directions online, including measurements for each area on each size halter. its not to hard once you get the hang of how much rope a knot takes up. I think I still have a few. I was going to sell them, but the I saw them going for like $10. Idk if i can get enough rope for that little lol. its more cost efficient to buy one, if you need to purchase materials, but not all rope halters are tied well that you can buy online or in a tack store. Plus of making your own- if it dosent fit just untie and start all over.

totalfreedom 11-23-2009 02:37 AM

I just noticed this video tonight. The person who posted it had another from a little while back but you couldn't see any detail or how it was made. But these new ones are excellent. There are three videos total and it shows exactly how to tie one. I've gonna tie one tomorrow probably. I wanna figure a way to modify it to make a bitless bridle. But I also wanna use my mecate reins so I'll probably just make one with a little longer fiadore knot area so I can tie the mecates.

BTW if you have a youtube account and if you wish please give the user a big thanks for me. I've been thinking of creating an account just so I can tell him thank you.

smrobs 11-23-2009 02:48 AM

I have tried several times to make my own rope halters but failed miserably every time. I will just fork over the 10 or 15 bucks to buy one at my tack store. LOL. I can tie a fiador to attach as a throatlatch to a bosal but that diagram for the fiador for the rope halter just confused the crap out of me so I didn't even try it. I couldn't even get the simple knot one done right. One side would always end up way shorter than the other LOL.

arabchica 11-23-2009 06:12 AM

www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/RopeHalter/RopeHalter.html I'm going to give this a try myself.

totalfreedom 11-23-2009 06:34 PM

I just finished tying my first rope halter following those videos. It took ma about an hour to do it. I suggest to cut your rope to length before beginning like me. I had a rope about 70' in length and it took me a while to pull all that rope through the knots. I just wanted to do a practice one so I didn't cut the rope.

A small tip. When you are tying the knots going from one knot to the next make sure you don't have any twists in the rope. The twists will cause the halter to twist instead of just lay flat like it should. Mine had a twist on the bottom from pulling all that slack through cus my rope was 70' long and it would just twist up being so long. I'll bet if it's shorter like it should be then the twists will just naturally fall out as you pull the rope through and make the knots. But anyhow watch for them twists.

Yet all in all though it worked very simply. And if I had a short rope like I should have then it would of taken me probably half the time. Following this way it seems that you could probably tie a halter in 15 minutes or less. It was really simple.