The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Buddy Sour. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/buddy-sour-39886/)

IheartPheobe 11-05-2009 08:46 PM

Buddy Sour.

Roger has become very buddy sour. :? He will bolt when he is with his friends, but once they are gone he will simply stop and there is no persauding him. He will wait until a friend comes and then bolt again. I have ridden him by himself and that day we accomplished so much. I feel like this is becoming a big problem as he is so excited and distracted by other horses! We can simply not get anything done and it's dangerous! We caused Romeo (who is very young.) to bolt with his rider because he wanted to race Roger, and the girl was very scared. Also having no choice tried to pass Buster and he tried to buck Alexa off as a result. (we were suppoused to cut across the middle, there were jumps there hence not a lot of room to pass!) I'd really love to stop causing everyone so much trouble :-( With us jumping now I also really would like to feel like I have control of him. Help?

ChingazMyBoy 11-06-2009 05:17 AM

Hmm .. . .. buddy sour horses can be a huge problem and as you said above it can get very dangerous. Maybe try taking him back to the beginning of riding with friends. From what I've heard if the horse is in the same paddock as the horses he is "attached" to then seperate them with a fence. Then try leading and walking away from the other horse.s

IheartPheobe 11-07-2009 12:18 PM

It is any horse. Whether he goes out with them or not. :\ He can lead the group but if we are cantering he'll bolt until he's reached the back of the line. :|

justsambam08 11-08-2009 11:49 PM

I have a similar problem.....my gelding isn't buddy sour (he doesnt have horsey friends, lol) but when we are working in the arena and another horse is with us, he reverts to his racing days and absolutely HAS to follow them, come up on there butt, and then "race" them. I usually work alone, which I would recommend until you can get him completely focused on you. Take him through everything that you plan on doing with buddies, and then slowly start introducing him to other horse friends, the calmest ones first. I would recommend taking private lessons if you want to continue jumping with him, at least until you can get him tuned in to you.

IheartPheobe 11-10-2009 04:47 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have not jumped him other than a tiny crossrail in two+ weeks. But this really is a problem-- not only has it caused the events I listed but he threw my friend Saturday and she broke her shoulder.

ChingazMyBoy 11-10-2009 07:44 PM

Sorry, that I wasn't much help. I'll speak to my friend she use to have an extremly buddy sour horse and I'll let you know what she says. It was always fun riding with her . .. .

IheartPheobe 11-13-2009 09:11 PM

Aw, don't feel badly. You did help. :)
He is getting better. I feel like the more I sit back and don't fight him he'll pay attention to me. :)