The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Age you stop Jumping your horses at. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/age-you-stop-jumping-your-horses-39911/)

TwisterRush 11-06-2009 09:09 AM

Age you stop Jumping your horses at.

i was curious, what age you would stop a horse from doing jumping ?
like retiring them from it..
I know it kind of depends on the situation of the horse, like the overall health etc.

but lets say the horse is overall completely healthy.
What age would you stop jumping it at ?

sillybunny11486 11-06-2009 09:22 AM

when they dont seem to want to anymore. if a horse was healthy, i wouldnt change anything with my routine.

Alwaysbehind 11-06-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunny11486 (Post 452164)
when they dont seem to want to anymore. if a horse was healthy, i wouldnt change anything with my routine.

I agree. There is no magical number.

Some horses go strong well past others.

Some need to have the height cut back early on, others keep doing it.

TwisterRush 11-06-2009 09:37 AM

Ah Okay :)
Thank you, anymore opinions?

Void 11-06-2009 11:09 AM

Beezie Madden's horse Judgement was jumping Grand Prix until they retired him last weekend at age 18. My friends horse still does AO Jumpers and he's 20.

There is no magic number, its a horse by horse scenario.

upnover 11-06-2009 10:44 PM

There really is no answer to your question. Some horses will not be sound enough to jump at 10 while some are still jumping low stuff at 28. Usually they'll start telling you when something is starting to hurt: missing lead changes, shortened strides, swishing tails, etc. That's when a lot of people will put their show horses on some sort of joint maintenance program. When your horse starts stopping at fences, it's time to retire. Hopefully you don't wait that long.

Judgement didn't retire because of physical inability. He had pretty much done all the top stuff successfully and moved on to life as a breeding stallion.

Void 11-06-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 452947)

Judgement didn't retire because of physical inability. He had pretty much done all the top stuff successfully and moved on to life as a breeding stallion.

Never said he was retired due to pain, they just retired him, therefore he stopped jumping.

And in my opinion about joint supplements, if you start early and do prevention you'll probably add years to your horses jumping career.

upnover 11-07-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Void (Post 452978)
Never said he was retired due to pain, they just retired him, therefore he stopped jumping.

and i never said you did. :-) I was just further clarifying the situation. while some horses are retired at that age for physical reasons, he wasn't.

gypsygirl 11-07-2009 08:10 AM

when ever they say no really.

my horse is about 21 & he still fox hunts often & jumps whatever comes up. he doesnt have the best conformation ever, but clearly hes made to jump, bc hes had a hard life in terms of people & being jumped hard. i also take really good care of his legs though, which truly add years to their jumping life.

TupeloHoney 11-07-2009 07:47 PM

I agree with everyone else, it depends on how well your horse handles jumping and how well you manage his legs and do not over jump him or jump him too much . they say every horse only has so many jumps in him. it just depends on how well he is cared for to how long his physical conformation will allow him to jump.