The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Broken neck (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/broken-neck-39971/)

Rdoscherca 11-07-2009 12:11 AM

Broken neck

Had a bad fall from my horse two weeks ago. Fractured and dislocated C4/C5. Surgery was successful with no loss of function. Dr's say not to ride again - don't thing that's going to happen. Any success stories of comebacks from injuries of this type and suggestions for protective riding gear would be very appreciated. Thanks

Richard

JustDressageIt 11-07-2009 12:39 AM

Yikes. Sorry to hear about your injury.
Listen to the doctors for the most part. I have had a few friends who have successfully come out of various back injuries, and as long as they were smart about it they didn't have too many problems.
Heal up fast!

Loosewolf 11-07-2009 12:47 AM

Thank God you are doing well! I have had some (not as severe as yours) traumatic events on horseback, two this year alone..
So, the 1st thing I would have to advise (within my conscience and common sense, anyway)to follow your Physicians advice..
Having said that, and I am NO Physician either, here's what I can add..
IF NO-ONE can TALK YOU OUT OF IT, period, then obviously safety in all forms is in order here.
You should NOT ride AT ALL for quite a while longer...your healing process isn't near finished...
Next, when you INSIST you must get back,A safe horse (may not be yours for now) is a MUST..A Controlled environment (indoor ring, or well cared for and fenced-in outside ring/area) Walking gaits only for a while (any trotting will be a very bad idea) and ride with visual and audible supervision (better known as a friend with a cell-phone!)
Safety equipment? Certainly a C-COLLAR (cervical restraint collar..you know what that is for sure) A HELMET also..
DO NOT GROUND MOUNT, or MOUNT WITHOUT ASSISTANCE...too risky right now
I cannot condone risking another injury
, one that may be FAR worse than you have now, but I know I would be tempted eventually...1st give yourself time to heal a bit more eh?
IF YOU MUST RIDE...pad your odds at all costs!

PLEASE go easy and be careful! -Lw

TwisterRush 11-07-2009 12:53 AM

oh my im sorry !
I hope you get better, healing thoughts your way !

Did he say how long you are out of the saddle for ? hopefully its not permanent.. maybe he meant only temporary ?

rocky pony 11-07-2009 02:34 AM

wait, do they mean never to ride again? please do clarify..

Lobelia Overhill 11-07-2009 06:04 AM

Nick Skelton broke his neck a few years ago and is not only back riding, he's back competing at International level, very successfully!

iridehorses 11-07-2009 06:49 AM

When I was in my early 30's I was in a car accident and had 2 compressed fractured vertebra in the T region (over 30 years ago so I don't remember which exactly). No surgery but I had to wear a brace and be very cautious for the next 6 months. My doctor said the same thing but 1 year latter, I bought a motorcycle and a horse - still ride both. Currently, and for the past 15 years, I've ridden with 2 herniated discs that act up every now and then.

That's me - that may not be you. I did a lot of exercises and stregthened my back muscles. What I did was to tell my Dr what I was planning and ask what to do to accomplish it - it worked for me but your case may be very different.

In any case, good luck with your recovery and welcome to the forum!!

PaintHorseMares 11-07-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 453130)
I did a lot of exercises and stregthened my back muscles. What I did was to tell my Dr what I was planning and ask what to do to accomplish it...

This is key, and you may want to talk with a doctor specializing in sports medicine. They are familiar with the regiment necessary to successfully come back from injuries like this.

Rdoscherca 11-09-2009 08:45 AM

Thank you!

bubblegum 11-09-2009 09:02 AM

i broke the lower part of my back this time last year and i am only really allowed back in the saddle now. you are very lucky that you still have full function. i have decided that riding is no longer for me as i got out of the last accident really luckily, so im going to start driving, but i would advice if you go back riding a very good back protector with sleeves and there are new ones out there that blow up when you fall. but i would take a year off to let your back heal fully